ISO TNT chicken and biscuits recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
That is what I typed into search and it didn't narrow down my search much.
I'd like to make some easy chicken and biscuits with some leftover chicken I have. I figured I can follow the directions on the box for the biscuits, I've done those before long ago, but I've never been happy with the chicken part of it. Any recipe I've used before called for cream of chicken soup and I don't want yellow chicken and biscuits. I want the kind you get when at a diner (or dinor up here in PA). The kind with the neutral colored gravy that resembles the chicken coloring.

Does anyone have a handy link or recipe they can share?
Thanks

I am confused by your question. I was living in Atlanta before and Chicken and Biscuits were pretty popular as a sandwich for breakfast.

The chicken and biscuits I had always had fried chicken and biscuits on the side. Are you looking to do that or something different.

I have occassionally seen gravy on top of the chicken if that's what you are referring to and yes they normally use a condensed cream of chicken or mushroom soup for that. Atleast that's what it tasted like.

Although I am not a huge fan of fried foods, when I do make gravy and want it white I just prefer to use a readymade packet of mccormick white gravy. It has a good amount of seasoning in it already. I make it mine by adding some freshly chopped garlic and some fresh thyme to it.

hmmm, maybe it's an area thing then.
Chicken and biscuits up here in the northeast refers to a hot mixture of chicken, gravy and vegetables served over biscuits or sometimes mashed potatos. It looks like the inside of a chicken pot pie (sans crust), but the chicken is usually more shredded.
Maybe if I search chicken pot pie I'll have better luck.
Thanks for getting me thinking that way, Yakuta :)

That is much like her chicken mug pie that I adapted last night. Thanks. You can't read too much to get some idea of what you're doing when you step up to the kitchen counter :)

Maybe it would be something more similar to Chicken ala King? Add some extra veggies to it and put it over biscuits?

Exactly Suzi, veggies and "sauce" for the biscuits.
Ala King... that means with peas, doesn't it? I thought someone told me that long ago. I like peas by themself, but not in my chicken and biscuits. It always seems like they overpower everything.

Anyway, I must have gotten my topics mixed up. I said in another post that it didn't come out too bad. Not restaurant quality, but very passible.

I just use chicken broth and make gravy then add the other ingredients. I'm always told my gravy looks too pale. My family loves chic-n-bisc, thanks for reminding me I think well have this tomarrow.

I've never heard of Chicken and Biscuits in this form. Down here some Fast Food places sell a "chicken 'N' biscuit that is a piece of fried breast inside the biscuit. Others sell fried chicken with a biscuits(s) as a side. Of course I have heard of Chicken pot pie, which I am fond of.

The idea of a chicken pot pie filling ladled over biscuits sounds yummy!!
I will try this soon! It just makes sense it would be good!! Thanks Pacanis for the idea!!:chef:

Enjoy!

It must be a northern thing, very easy meal and delicious. I make it a lot during winter,where some people make a lot of chili (half the family does not like) I make Chic-N-Biscuits. You can put anything in the gravy you want. If you try it I'm sure you'll love it.

Miss Mikki...and others...

Do you make a traditional chicken pot pie type gravy, light in color, or is it a darker brown gravy...I know I will love it. A "southerner" will eat anything on top of a biscuit! Or cornbread!:LOL:

I make traditional chicken gravy light in color,never tried it with brown gravy. I mught just have to try it when I make it tomarrow.

Hi, Pacanis. No, chicken a la king doesn't have peas, although I guess you could add them. I use Betty Crocker's recipe for this, which includes green pepper, mushrooms, and pimentos (I add fresh red peppers). Here it is: Chicken à la King from Betty Crocker (includes a photo) It makes a wonderful rich gravy (it's not brown, though, it's kind of tan). I serve it over mashed potatoes, toast, or rice, depending on what I have or how much work I want to do :)

I make traditional chicken gravy light in color,never tried it with brown gravy. I mught just have to try it when I make it tomarrow.

Taditional chicken gravy here, gravy made after frying chicken, using a little of the oil, and all of the browned bits left in the pan, with addtional flour added and browned, (roux) is the norm, and is brown or darker in color depending on the shade of the roux. However, I don't believe that is the type or color you and Pacanis are refering too. If I made a basic Chicken pot pie type filling, wouldn't that be closer to what is traditional/normal for you, and in your area for chicken and biscuits? I just want to make sure, as best I can to duplicate the dish the way it is done in your area.

Enjoy!

Like mikki said, the gravy should be kind of a pale color. Like a beige or tan. I posted a pic around here somewhere of what mine came out looking like, which looks pretty much like a restaurant's version. After the solid ingredients were finished cooking I added some butter, melted it, then sprinkled some flour on it, maybe 1 little over 1/8c. Then when that was all good, I added my chicken broth and milk (whole). I used one of those small boxes of chicken broth (16oz?) and not quite as much milk..... how's that for precise measurements :LOL:. It definitely did not have that yellowish look like you get when using cream of chicken soup, which a lot of quick recipes call for. It should be about the consistancy of a beef stew's gravy, thicker than soup, but runny enough to absorb into the biscuits.
Just need to work on the seasoning now :)

I sometimes make chicken pot pie using biscuits on top instead of a crust. I don't use a recipe, but here's a basic guide.

Chicken Biscuit Pie

2-3 cups cooked chicken, cut in bite-sized pieces
1 cup potatoes, peeled and cut into small cubes
2 carrots, peeled and sliced diagonally
1/2 cup diced onion, more or less as you like
1 cup chopped celery
1 small jar pimentos, drained (opt)
1 can cut green beans, drained OR 1 can mixed vegetables (Veg-all)
2 cups+ chicken broth (you will need to open two cans)
2 tbls butter
2 tbls flour
S&P
chopped parsley, preferably fresh
one can Pillsbury's Grand Biscuits, or homemade ones

Put carrots, onions and celery in a small bowl, add a little chicken broth, cover loosely, and microwave until vegetables are crisp-tender. Or, put them in a saute pan with the broth, cover, and braise instead. If the potatoes are hard, add them about half way through. This step is usually not needed.

In a large sauce pan, melt the 2 tbls butter, mix in the flour, then stir in 2 cups of chicken broth, or half chicken broth and half milk, and cook on medium heat, stirring, until the sauce is thickened. Mix in vegetables and chicken, and season to taste with S&P and parsley.

Turn mixture into a casserole dish, cover, and bake in 350 degree oven for 30 minutes, or until it's bubbling hot. Remove from oven, top with biscuits, and return it to oven and cook, uncovered, until biscuits are browned and cooked through.

*It's important for the mixture to be hot before you put the biscuits on top, or they will be soggy on the bottom.

This is a great one dish meal, and a good way to use up leftover chicken or turkey. It's also good with ham chunks.

Here it is

chicken&biscuits.jpg

What a neat idea cooking it in the oven and putting your biscuits right on top.

Constance said:
I sometimes make chicken pot pie using biscuits on top instead of a crust

I've done that as well Miss Connie. I was thinking that what Pacanis and Miss Mikki were describing was an Upside Down version of what I had done with the biscuits as a crust for Chicken Pot Pie. No matter, I am going to make it their way, (Saturday?) Thanks for posting your recipe.

Pacanis..Thanks for posting the picture. It looks good! I don't see alot of veggies however. Does the dish not have veggeis? Or is it supposed to be just a nice gravy and chicken served over biscuits? The color and consistency is what I had thought.

Back
Top Bottom