Baby Back Ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

john a

Executive Chef
Did these in the Traeger using a combination of Hickory & Apple pellets. After rubbing them they took four hours at 250º.
Normally I do not glaze ribs but tried a mixture of apple jelly, honey, and KC Masterpiece on these, they came out very good.

img_517227_0_507bd8d1810c169566ac967fb5384eb5.jpg

img_517227_1_885eb98ddcd9d8f6f96406b86ffc952d.jpg

img_517227_2_6aa907c86da3b3f282aa07125f1c4857.jpg

Not only do you remove the membrane, but if you do, how do you do it? I can make ribs that taste good (but they don't look as gorgeous as these) but I have never taken off the membrane because I don't know how. Won't the ribs just fall apart then?

The membrane covers the back side of the rack. You have to lift a corner with the point of a knife and grab the raised protion with a dry paper towel (better grip) and peel it off.

The rack will not fall apart.

In competition, there is no consensus on whether the membrane should be left or removed.

It's all opinion in removing the membrane. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't....sometimes I can't get a good grip on it and just leave it on.:wacko:

I just like to hear others opinions. I heard someone say it could dry out the ribs...others say they don't like the texture of it while munching away.

Go to your local sporting goods store. In the fishing section look for "Catfish Skinning Pliers" With just a little practice you can prep a slab of ribs in less time than it took to type this.....and start on the next one.

I have eaten ribs with the membrane removed and I have eaten ribs with it still there. I actually enjoy when the membrane is still there. I like to rip it off with my teeth as I eat the ribs. It does not make or break the experience for me though. I think either way they can be just as good.

John your ribs look fantastic! Great job!

The catfish skinning pliers is a great idea, never heard it before. I remove the membrain with fingers and a paper towel, been doing it so long it's easy for me. Caterers that work large events do not bother when doing cases of ribs as it would take too much time. Some folks score the membrain and get pretty good results that way. Should you remove the membrain???

Nice ribs john a. Sure looks like the smoke got through them :)

I'm also undecided on taking the membrane off. I always start off taking it off, but if it tears I don't worry about it very much. No meat on that side anyway. If you're buying your ribs at the counter you can ask the butcher to take it off for you.
I get it started by working a not too sharp paring knife under the membrane a few ribs up from the small end. I too use a paper towel to grab it, but usually end up twirling it around a finger and pealing it off that way.

John, what's that extra metal grate you are using?

The catfish skinning pliers is a great idea, never heard it before. I remove the membrain with fingers and a paper towel, been doing it so long it's easy for me. Caterers that work large events do not bother when doing cases of ribs as it would take too much time. Some folks score the membrain and get pretty good results that way. Should you remove the membrain???

I just submitted a long post and it vanished into into the twilight zone!!
So, I'll give you the Reader's Digest version. I love the wide jaws of the pliers. I've used fingers and cloth towels with success too. "Should you remove the membrane"?? It's a matter of personal preference. The majority of competitive pit masters do!(Some don't with success) The rewards greatly outweigh the time and effort.... A nice clean bite/chew, better absorption of seasonings, etc., etc. I always remove the membrane. I am of the opinion that you can cook some very good ribs without removing it, but you will never cook excellent ribs unless you do.

Enjoy!

Did you wrap them in foil at all?

IMO, if you going to cook them to fall off the bone status such as the 3-2-1 method (smoke 3 hours uncover, 2 hours in foil, last hour uncovered), you should remove the membrane.

FYI A lot of "amateurs" leave the membrane on as they don't know they can remove it, someone might just automatically assume a person is one. :)

I prefer a little resistence to fall off the bone so no foil for me. I always remove the membrane from ribs, both BB's & Spares.

Pacanis, Sorry, just noticed your question about the rack upon a rack. It's lightweight aluminum throw away thingy's from Home Depot, makes cleanup a lot easier.

I prefer a little resistence to fall off the bone so no foil for me. I always remove the membrane from ribs, both BB's & Spares.

Pacanis, Sorry, just noticed your question about the rack upon a rack. It's lightweight aluminum throw away thingy's from Home Depot, makes cleanup a lot easier.

I personally prefer the 3-1-1 method, it's not falling off the bone, but the meat will cleanly come off the meat with only your teeth. Closest method I've tasted to competition ribs.

My guests strongly prefer the 3-2-1 method, they feel the mushier the ribs the better, go figure... :)

Last edited:
Bacardi said:
personally prefer the 3-1-1 method, it's not falling off the bone, but the meat will cleanly come off the meat with only your teeth. Closest method I've tasted to competition ribs.

Some Competition ribs are successfully cooked using this, or a variation of the (Texas Crutch) method! They place high in the competitions.

Bacardi said:
My guests strongly prefer the 3-2-1 method, they feel the mushier the ribs the better, go figure... :)

Next time just give them some stiff mashed potatoes...sprinkle on some rub, add a dash of sauce, stick a bone in here and there....They want know the difference!!:ermm: Oh! It's easier, quicker, and cheaper too!!!:LOL:

Have Fun!

Some Competition ribs are successfully cooked using this, or a variation of the (Texas Crutch) method! They place high in the competitions.

Next time just give them some stiff mashed potatoes...sprinkle on some rub, add a dash of sauce, stick a bone in here and there....They want know the difference!!:ermm: Oh! It's easier, quicker, and cheaper too!!!:LOL:

Have Fun!

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing...Mix in a little liquid smoke and some JD whisky and they'd really have no idea what hit 'em... :LOL:

Have Fun!

That's good :LOL:
Next time I fix ribs, I think that's what I'm going to give my sister. She's not a big meat eater anyway..... shoot, come to think of it, she doesn't eat mashed potatoes either :wacko:

Bacardi said:
Mix in a little liquid smoke and some JD whisky and they'd really have no idea what hit 'em... :LOL:

Don't sell Liquid Smoke so short... The truth is..it is an excellent wood preservative, and the best sheep dip money can buy! In fact, I am convinced that anybody who likes this stuff has a little Sheep Hearder in their ancestory!!:LOL:

JD??....I'm not allowed to say what that stuff is in mixed company!!:ermm:

Fun!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom