Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/)
-   -   I Made Cornbread!!!!! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f154/i-made-cornbread-40785.html)

mikki 12-07-2007 01:57 PM

I Made Cornbread!!!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Uncle Bob, I made it today,just came out of the oven. Here's a picture

suziquzie 12-07-2007 02:36 PM

Nice!!!
I went and bought all the stuff for it, and my stupid oven started acting up last night, so instead of CHili and UB's cornbread, the kids had PB&J and I had a Martini!!!

I think I'll have to post a pic of the first thing I bake in it. :)

mikki 12-07-2007 02:48 PM

Sorry about you oven, at least your new one is on it's way. So this might be a stupid question,but I'm going to ask anyway,What do you use corn bread for? Do you primarily use it to dunk in things? Pretty good I make something then don't know what to do with it. I wanted to try it though.

suziquzie 12-07-2007 02:53 PM

I make stuffing with it or eat it with chili. That's about it!
I'm sure there's more. I'm not creative.

Fisher's Mom 12-07-2007 03:06 PM

Your cornbread looks excellent, mikki. In the south, we eat cornbread with butter on it and/or jelly or jam, too. I love it just as a snack with a big glass of milk but I usually serve it for dinner with a big pot of navy beans and a salad. Yummy.

bethzaring 12-07-2007 03:26 PM

where I was raised, appalachia, it is common/mandatory to serve cornbread with beans, most often bean soup. Matter of fact, that's what we are having for dinner tonight. You can serve the cornbread to be crumpled up in the soup, in which case you make the soup very thin. Or you can serve it on the side, to be sliced and topped with butter. I do both, top with butter then crumble in the soup:lol:. It is very good served with butter and maple syrup or honey.

Fisher's Mom 12-07-2007 03:34 PM

Ooooh, I wish I was having dinner at your house tonight, beth. Now that I think about it, I guess it is more of a soup. Do you cook bacon or salt pork in your beans? I'm drooling here. Also, my dad used to love to crumble cornbread into a big glass of buttermilk.

bethzaring 12-07-2007 04:05 PM

Come on over Mom. I use ham bones and cubed ham in my beans. I've been getting some smoked hams and I save the bones and chunks of meat in the freezer for soups. Tonight I am using a fresh smoked ham bone and some frozen smoked ham..is smelling pretty good at the moment.

JohnL 12-07-2007 04:41 PM

Great looking skillet of corn bread there mikki!
I like to serve cornbread with my gumbo, my kids always liked thiers with butter and jelly. When I make chili, cornbread is mandatory.

mikki 12-07-2007 05:02 PM

Thanks for the compliment and all the input, I did try the chicken gravy over the cornbread, a different taste than I'm use to,but it was good. DH just asked me why I made cornbread he hates it. Guess I found something just for me