I Made Cornbread!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the south it's castiron skillet cornbread. The process is that you pour heated up oil from the skillet to the cornbread batter so that it immediately heats it up , stir, and then pour it into the already hot skillet which then turns out a crispy cornbread. That's why many Southeners prefer cast iron skillet cornbread over cake cornbread--it's crispier. But I myself, will eat both kinds. I'm a corn addict---corn on the cob, popcorn, cornbread..........etc........

In the south it's castiron skillet cornbread. The process is that you pour heated up oil from the skillet to the cornbread batter so that it immediately heats it up , stir, and then pour it into the already hot skillet which then turns out a crispy cornbread. That's why many Southeners prefer cast iron skillet cornbread over cake cornbread--it's crispier. But I myself, will eat both kinds. I'm a corn addict---corn on the cob, popcorn, cornbread..........etc........

Hey, expat? Guess what's even better? Instead of oil in the skillet, use bacon grease. That's what I do. Mmmmm, mmmm, good! As Emeril says, "It's a pork fat thing!":LOL:

oh, Katie, I know how great bacon oil is---my German Grandmother kept it in a brown teapot and used it for everything. Made the best popcorn ever!! And you're right it makes great cornbread and I sometimes use it as a base for my roux for a gumbo.

The other night, after making a pot of beans and ham, started the cornbread, and realized that I had no shortening. Used unsalted butter instead. The best I have ever made. The buttery taste worked really well.

LOL - Bigjim - next time try using bacon drippin's for the fat to make your cornbread, both in the batter and to grease the skillet - then when done, slice a wedge in half and slather with butter.

DOUBLE JOY!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom