Making sugar cookies - questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SueBear

Senior Cook
Hello everyone...

I've been thinking about making sugar cookies but wanted to ask a few thoughts about this. Here's what I'm thinking. One, I've not done it before so this is something new for me. Two, I found a simple recipe to follow and I have all ingredients. The only thing I don't have is the sprinkles and few decorating items but that shouldn't be difficult to obtain.

What I'm wondering is, is it easier to follow the recipe that I have or would it be better if I purchased a sugar cookies roll to where I can just cut the roll. What I'd like to do is use these as gifts, that's why I'm asking the long questions. Of course none of this can be done until after next week when I finish my classes as time is very limited but I'm wondering the best way to work this out now.

Oh, brings me to another question. If I did use the sugar cookie recipe what are the best kind of cookie cutters? I was thinking about aluminum but not sure if they're worth the purchase price. What have others used in this situation?

I appreciate everyone's thoughts.

Hi Sue Bear. I make sugar cookies every Christmas. My family and friends love them! They do take some time. I much prefer homemade to store bought, but the purchased cookie dough is easier. I think you should do whatever you feel most inclined to do. This time of year can easily get stressful and then all the fun is gone.

Cookie cutters. I use the metal /aluminum ones, some of them are vintage.

BTW, I've been to Council Bluffs a time of two - went to Creighton. Thinking alot about your area the last several days.

Hey Miss Sue Bear....The first question is easy for me. IMO.. homemade over Store-bought. They will tatse better, and a gift that is homemade always seems to say.."I love you" and "You are special" better than a store bought one. I think the recipient appreciates the time you invested.....maybe more so than the money.

Which cookies cutters are best?....I don't have a clue.

I agree with Uncle Bob...homemade, for sure. You mention "sugar" cookies and then say "cut them out," so do you mean cut-out cookies that will be decorated and/or iced? There are all kinds of different recipes for cut-out cookies that go beyond plain sugar-types.

As for cutters, I have close to 300 of all different shapes and sizes, ranging from those the size of a bear's paw to tiny ones the size of a quarter. I have aluminum, steel, copper, plastic, you name it. The designs go from rather complex to kindergarten simple. My best advice when it comes to using cookie cutters is to make sure the cutters are dusted with something before using them to cut out the cookies. I use powdered sugar instead of flour to dust my rolling surface and cutters.

It sounds as though you are just beginning so, in light of that, begin with cookie cutters that are fairly simple, such as stars, Christmas trees, bells, etc. Once you get your feet wet, advance to more complex cutters.

Have fun.

Hi Sue Bear. I make sugar cookies every Christmas. My family and friends love them! They do take some time. I much prefer homemade to store bought, but the purchased cookie dough is easier. I think you should do whatever you feel most inclined to do. This time of year can easily get stressful and then all the fun is gone. Cookie cutters. I use the metal /aluminum ones, some of them are vintage.
BTW, I've been to Council Bluffs a time of two - went to Creighton. Thinking alot about your area the last several days.

Hi there..
Yes it's been a little hectic since we had the shootings at Westroads. Our traffic has increased across town because of the mall closing, not sure when they're due to open up again. As frustrating as it is for shoppers, it has to be doubly difficult situation for the victims and my prayers are with the families during this time of year. :angel:

Thanks for the info, I'll start looking for cookie cutters this week when graduate finals are finished.

It sounds as though you are just beginning so, in light of that, begin with cookie cutters that are fairly simple, such as stars, Christmas trees, bells, etc. Once you get your feet wet, advance to more complex cutters.Have fun.

Yes I'm just beginning. A total newbie at cookie cutting so I suppose you could say I'm very lost when it comes to where I should look for getting cutters or what kind at that. You know, I remember coming across somewhere that using powdered sugar over flour was better when using the cookie cutters so you're the second person that's mentioned that to me now. That's interesting to note.

So when I go searching for cookie cutters, purchasing something simple okay that makes sense. Now I found a web site called Cookiecutters and was thinking about checking them out over going to walmart. When I last went there, I believe I'd seen some but they were more on the plastic side so I don't know if that's exactly price worthy you know what I mean? ;)
Oh, to answer your question about icing or sparkles, I was thinking about keeping it simple so probably sparkles as that would be the easy way to go about doing it. What do you suggest for someone who's just starting out? One more question, is there anywhere particular you go for looking at cookie cutters?

Great info, thanks so much! I've been taking a lot of notes from here this past week. I actually was joking with my husband the other day and said to him, relax I'm still attending graduate school not culinary. :ROFLMAO: He was in the kitchen once as well so familiar with this stuff he's just letting me do my thing which is nice. It relieves the stress from graduate school too!

When it comes to cookie cutters, I have no preference on what they're made of. As I mentioned earlier, mine are made out of lots of materials. I think, as a beginner, you would be just fine purchasing them at Wal-Mart, Target, K-Mart, etc. Just get your feet wet.

As for the site you reference for cookie cutters, I have (Hope Buck doesn't see this.) almost all of the ones they offer. They are wonderful cutters but, since you are a novice, I would opt for cutters that are more "open" at the top. In other words, begin with cookie cutters that are like a biscuit cutter, just the shape that is open at the top and has the cutting lip on the other edge.

I'm at a different computer so I can't post my family's traditional cut-out cookie recipe. It's been in my family for several generations and everyone loves the cookies. I'll post the recipe tomorrow.

As a matter of fact, they are our New Year's Eve tradition. We celebrate entering the new year by bringing the first tray of cookies out of the oven in time to ring in the New Year.

Hi Sue Bear,

I don't care for the plastic cookie cutters. Just my opinion. Especially the kind with a design on top. I like my cookies kindof thick - too much sticks to the top of the cutter. Also, if you have baking powder/soda in your recipe, your cookie is going to get a little "puffy" if you know what I mean. As the cookie rises, the details in the cutters design are blurred.

There are no cookies better than home made, period. Anything that comes from those refrigerated rolls is going to taste like it came from a package. What you create with your own fresh ingredients (and you must use butter, never ever margarine) will be worth the smiles you receive.

Cookie cutters come in all materials. Plastic is just as good as tin and copper.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Yes I've seen a few of them (plastic and tin cutters) and they are quite cute so I'm looking but haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. I'm looking through different recipes at the moment to determine what I'm going to do. I have another week left of graduate school then I'm free and clear of classes and I can focus on this so I'm putting things off until I get finished so I can focus on finals first then cooking has my total undivided attention. :chef:

Since we are discussing sugar cookies...I made some dough for cutouts and have it chilling. How long will the dough stay good in the fridge? (I have it wrapped in plastic wrap.)

I made some sugar cookie dough today as well. I'll roll it out and bake tomorrow night. I've never kept dough in the fridge for longer then 24 hours or so. But that's not to say it won't last longer. Hopefully someone with experience in holding cookie dough will chime in.

I just made some yesterday and learned that the dough should have been chilled first to stop them from spreading to far and becoming flat in the oven. I'll definitely try that the next time!

Oh well, live and learn, I guess. Though the cookies still tasted delish (as Raechal Ray always says), they did come out golden brown and light.

Any tips you have when it comes to thickness? For example since you have to cut out the dough, how thin would you say on average you are rolling the dough out to be? I ask this because I'm the type of person where I used to use the cookies that came in the rolled up sleeves where all you had to do was slice them (or use a spoon and get the amount needed)

Now that I'm going to start making them from scratch, I wanted to ask how ya'll do it and if there's some secret to rolling the dough doing it so they come out correctly. Well... not secret per say but you know what I mean.

FYI: I got 4 more days then I'm done with classes. YAY! :w00t2:

I like them a little softer in the middle and crispy on the outside. I roll them to about 1/4 inch thickness.

I have had my dough in the fridge since Sunday...what do you think? Can I still use it? I put it in a ziploc bag so it's been air tight.

Any tips you have when it comes to thickness? For example since you have to cut out the dough, how thin would you say on average you are rolling the dough out to be? I ask this because I'm the type of person where I used to use the cookies that came in the rolled up sleeves where all you had to do was slice them (or use a spoon and get the amount needed)

Now that I'm going to start making them from scratch, I wanted to ask how ya'll do it and if there's some secret to rolling the dough doing it so they come out correctly. Well... not secret per say but you know what I mean.

FYI: I got 4 more days then I'm done with classes. YAY! :w00t2:

I'm not much of a cookie baker. Just got into it yesterday, and found out afterwards that the dough should have been chilled first before continuing on.

The dough then probably could have been rolled out on a floured surface. Didn't use cutters mainly because I don't have any.

I'm mainly a bread and cake baker, so baking cookies is somewhat new to me, though I've always wanted to try it.

I DID however, make peanut butter and oatmeal cookies in the past, and even those were drop cookies as well. This yesterday, was mainly trial & error. I DO have a rolling pin and even a cookie press, but no cutters.

And I, also, used to buy the refrigerated cookie dough as well. But I really wanted to get down and dirty with the mixer yesterday - like I do when making bread and cakes.

So now, the first chance I get, I'll go get some cookie cutters.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom