Convert gingerBREAD recipe into gingerbread COOKIES?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BluePlate

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

Season's greetings! I hope this finds everyone well.

I have been making the same gingerbread cookie recipe for the last several years, and I'd like to try something a bit new.

I recently saw a recipe for the Grammercy Tavern Gingerbread Stout Cake and the reviews I have read simply rave about it.

Is there any way to convert a gingerbread (cake) recipe into a recipe for gingerbread cookies?

The cookies will be given to adults, not kids...

Thanks for any thoughts/advice/help! Best to you,

Can you post the recipe you would like to use so we can help you trouble shoot it? Also, I know I posted a soft gingerbread cookie recipe on here some time ago. If you do an advanced search with gingerbread/title only and my user name you might find what you're looking for. Good luck.

Hi Alix,

Thanks for your note - I tried to post a link to the recipe on Epicurious, Guinness Stout Ginger Cake from the Grammercy Tavern Cookbook, but I am not permitted to post a URL.

I apologize I don't know the etiquette for quoting recipes, so I will just put in the main ingredients that I think might affect the ratios for cake to cookies:

Liquids and Fats
1 C Stout
1 C Molasses
3/4 C Oil
3 Eggs

Leavening
1/2 TBS Baking soda
1+1/2 tsp Baking powder

Dry
1 C Total sugars
2 C Flour
1+3/4 tsp spices
1 TBS more spices

If you have any ideas, I'd be grateful!

Thanks again, and I hope all's well. Cheers,
:)

OK, here goes. That would make a pretty loose batter and for gingerbread cookies (even soft ones) you need it to be a bit firmer. First off, I'd change out your oil for shortening, same amount. Cream that with your sugars. Then I would use a bit less stout, say...1/2 - 3/4 cup? You don't want to mess with the flavour, but you need to use less liquid there. Eggs look good, but you can even get rid of one there with no issue. My soft gingerbread cookies use 4-5 cups of flour so I think if you upped your flour to 4 cups and then used that fifth cup judiciously you would be on the money. The dough should be really thick and sort of stiff. You want to be able to roll a ball and have it retain its shape. So, when you get to that point you can do a couple of things. You can scoop out the dough and make drop cookies, or you can use some of that fifth cup of flour and flour a board and rolling pin and make cut out cookies. Personally, for a first time, I'd go with the drop cookies.

Does that help? Oh, and bake at about 325-350 for 10 minutes til the edges look a bit crisp and the top looks dry but still poofy. Post back and let us know how they were.

Hi Alix :chef:,

Wow! You're awesome! Thanks a lot for your help! I'll post if I try it -- hopefully, later this week.

Much appreciation,
:)

I had a similar recipe a few years ago and it came out great, I wish I knew which site I got it from! bah

Hi All,

Season's greetings! I hope this finds everyone well.

I have been making the same gingerbread cookie recipe for the last several years, and I'd like to try something a bit new.

I recently saw a recipe for the Grammercy Tavern Gingerbread Stout Cake and the reviews I have read simply rave about it.

Is there any way to convert a gingerbread (cake) recipe into a recipe for gingerbread cookies?

The cookies will be given to adults, not kids...

Thanks for any thoughts/advice/help! Best to you,

Hey, how about posting (to the satisfaction of the mods:angel:) the cake with stout recipe? Hmm....pretty please...??

ahem......oops....see it's already posted. :wacko:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom