Another chicken improvisation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef
I improvised a couple dishes for our supper the other night that I thought perhaps some of you all would like to try.
I was craving chicken, so DH thawed thighs and boned, skinned chicken breasts, and I told him I'd think of something to do with them.

I dug in the pantry, and found a box of Stove Top Cornbread dressing mix that I thought would make a tasty coating for the chicken.
DH put the dressing mix in a ziploc and crushed it up, then moistened the chicken with a little olive oil and rolled it in the crumbs. We put it in a baking dish in the oven and baked it uncovered at 350 for 45 minutes, then took it out and spooned a can of low fat cream of mushroom soup over the top, put the lid on, and gave it 20 more minutes. The chicken had a nice crunchy crust, was tender and juicy inside, and the soup combined with the chicken drippings made a nice gravy.

I also found a box of long grain white and wild rice mix in the pantry, and a bag of stir fry vegies (snap peas, water chestnuts, and red, green and yellow pepper strips) in the freezer. I nuked the rice until it was almost done, then added the vegies and cooked it until they were heated through.

What got me started thinking about it was that Kim said he wished we had some Shake'n Bake. I think next time, I'll coat the chicken as above, then spread it out on a baking sheet in the oven. I think that would make good oven-fried chicken, don't you?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom