Anyone alcohol free?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
With the season approaching or here I should say, I was just curious if anyone on here is devoid of alcohol.
I realize that this time of year, it's a staple for most.

No, not alcohol-free here, but we do drink some things this time of the year that we don't the rest of the year. For example, it's been tradition to enjoy bourbon and ginger ale as we open our gifts on Christmas morning.

We try to stay alcohol free. We don't do much drinking to begin with so this time of year is no different. I have a bottle of wine that I bought for a party we were hosting just to have some available. This was last year and it is still sitting in my pantry. Last Christmas my kids were curious about eggnog (the stuff with rum) since they read the non-acoholic on the label of the stuff I usually get. So I bought a bottle of the alcoholic kind and neither of them cared for it much. (They are 18 and 23 so don't go thinking I'm promoting children drinking! and the 18 yr old gives us a hard time for a single beer!)

i will definitely be alcohol free at parties at work this year after what i saw this morning.

as i got up to the door of my building, i noticed a cop (that had pulled over a motorist) had hung this small black box over the half opened window of the car. it was just at the right level for the driver to breathe in to, so i assume it was some kind of preliminary chemical tester.

I'm just thinking that it's a hard time to do without the holiday libations but wondered if anyone else is thinking the same thing < that with everything else going on, maybe the fun stuff isn't so necessary.

I can't believe how many memories are in sync with alcohol.

i will definitely be alcohol free at parties at work this year after what i saw this morning.

as i got up to the door of my building, i noticed a cop (that had pulled over a motorist) had hung this small black box over the half opened window of the car. it was just at the right level for the driver to breathe in to, so i assume it was some kind of preliminary chemical tester.
don't know if you read your last PM from me:neutral:

No, not alcohol-free here, but we do drink some things this time of the year that we don't the rest of the year. For example, it's been tradition to enjoy bourbon and ginger ale as we open our gifts on Christmas morning.

LOVE that! Uncle Bob is gonna love this too! :)

I'm just thinking that it's a hard time to do without the holiday libations but wondered if anyone else is thinking the same thing < that with everything else going on, maybe the fun stuff isn't so necessary.

I thought the holidays were supposed to be *about* the fun stuff - that's what makes them something to look forward to. I don't mean drinking during the holidays, but fun stuff in general during this time. I guess that's why I've pretty much gone to online shopping - I can't stand going from one crowded store to another trying to find something, so I shop at home and have more time for the fun stuff, which is getting together with family and friends :)

I can't believe how many memories are in sync with alcohol.

It sounds as if you think it's not good to have holiday memories that include alcohol. For me, having a glass of wine with dinner (or a margarita with Mexican food, or a glass of sangria when it's really hot) is just part of life, something I enjoy doing.

We don't drink much ( except for when in Mexico then the tequilia flows freely)...

This time of year we tend to drink more.. parties, nights at home by the fire with hot chocolate and peppermint schnapps or kaluha.. Then there's New Years Eve, it's almost always a big drinking night for us.

We have been alcohol free for years. FIL and DH are recovering alcoholics so...ginger-ale on New Years Eve works for us just fine. Grape juice for communion. Weddings are usually ginger-ale or sparkling apple juice. Works for me!!

I am usually alcohol free, just easier to control my blood glucose without..But I have warm memories of my dad and I making his Tom and Jerry batter to have as we open presents ..How I loved them with that sprinkle of nutmeg on top of the hot cream and brandy..Now I put out wine and other things for the kids and their spouses and soda and juice for the little ones..Me I might have a sip or two of red wine, but more likely than not just hot coffee or ice tea...
The drinks make things festive, but the family and friends make it perfect.
kadesma:)

We tend to drink a little more alcohol at this time of year. Well, actually, we don't drink a lot most other times of year - it's not something that can fit in our budget right now.

But I recieved a gift pack of two bottles of Baileys, and have a few bottles of lovely bubbly that we were given (leftover from a wedding) so I feel quite stocked up (don't laugh! :)) When you add work functions etc (which I tend to have a lot of at this time of year) I'll definitely drink more than I usually do.

This said, while I enjoy the odd glass of wine, I'm not really the type to over-indulge. Just doesn't do it for me.

Not a big drinker at any time of the year these days, on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve (if I go out), I am usually alcohol free. Too many scaries on the road for me to risk even a few sips as I usually spend Christmas Day in the car - or it seems like it.

I don't drink alcohol at all and I don't serve alcohol if I entertain. If people don't like that, they don't have to come to my house ;)

I don't drink at all. Never did and never will. If people want to drink when they come to my house they have to bring their own alcohol.

100% Alcohol free here. Amazing since there were an awful lot of alcoholics in my family.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom