Newfangled Cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

affable_artist

Assistant Cook
Hi!

I just made and ate the most delicious dinner and wanted to ramble about it - but my cat could care less! Also, I find my friends are getting numb to hearing what they consider to be my non-conventional recipes...

So - here I am! Searching for creative ideas to share with fellow food lovers!

Tonights menu:

Ensalada de Naranjas
Salad: oranges, pineapple, lettuce, green and orange peppers
Dressing: garlic, oil, vinegar, orange juice, crushed red hot chili peppers and dry mustard

Wow! The sweet fruit with the bitter vinegar and spicy peppers! AMAZING!

Farfalle with Carrot, Sage and Scallion
Just what the recipe title says... all the veggies stir-fried in butter and oil, salt and pepper and atop organic wheat farfalle... a little shredded cheese sprinkled on top...

YUM!!!

Welcome to DC! Fruits in a dressed salad are very special salads in my eyes. Try citrus pieces with calamari and aioli on some salad greens. Super yum!!!!

How was the carrot in the pasta? Never had them that way. Of course had them in Asian noodles, which is similar but with different sauces.

Hi Bilby!
Thanks for the "welcome!"
I have been hooked on citrus dressings and fruits in my salads for weeks now! It's amazing! Have you ever had a warm pasta dish with cooked fruit in it? Also very delightful!

I don't know what aioli is - I'll have to look that up!

The carrots were stir fried in oil and butter for about 7 minutes, then I added the scallions and sage leaves for another 7 minutes - so the carrots were nice and soft and buttery! The sage leaves really complimented this nicely. Scent and taste!

No I don't recall ever having cooked fruit in my pasta, certainly not at home and I rummaging thru my memories of fusion restaruants but am drawing a blank! What fruit did you cook with the pasta? Be interested in trying it.

Aioli is basically garlic mayo! Garlic over orange or grapefruit in a salad is delightful. When I was growing up, mum usually made a "sunshine" salad which had pineapple, orange and prunes in a garden salad. Dressings were added to the plate as we all like diffferent types or none at all (I was the none at all - the orange and pineapple was enough for me).

I had a good crop of sage this year but a few weeks of commitments took my eye off the ball and they went to seed (as did my parsley, chives and leeks - BTW leeks have a lovely flower!) so new crop needed.

I like experimental and fusion foods. A couple of months ago, I had dessert peach sushi - quite sweet but very filling with all that rice. Can't remember what sauce was served with it but it went so well with the sushi rolls.

Keep on posting your non-conventional recipes please!!!

(Oh and my cats don't give a hoot either. Offered them rare fillet steak the other night and it took three cats before the scraps got eaten. I think they have got used to me not making things that they will like and now don't bother!!! Sashimi is another matter entirely however!! LOL)

Bilby - I first had the cooked fruit with pasta in Colorado at a Rastafarian restaurant. It was awhile ago, but if I remember correctly, it was grapes and bananas with spaghetti and an oily sauce. It inspired me to experiment with "fruit stir-fry". My favorite is still warm plums and nectarines (I cooked mine in sugar water).

Your mum's Sunshine Salad sounds wonderful! I hope you make something like it now!

Your mum's Sunshine Salad sounds wonderful! I hope you make something like it now!
No I don't as I tend not to make salads, just put salad items on a plate. It's usually only me I'm cooking for, maybe one other, so it never seems worthwhile to go the extra length. Special occasions maybe.

Don't think we have ever had a Rastafarian restaurant over here! Cooked fruit with meals is more in Asian cuisine here I guess. That or fusion.

Keep on posting your non-conventional recipes please!!!

I, too cook for just myself and usually end up making a weeks worth of food on Sunday. I'd love to come here to DC and brag about what odd meal(s) I've just stumbled upon and attempted to master!

Have to keep it non-conventional so that by the end of the week - I still want to eat it!

Well there is the daily dinner post where you can brag away!! Always a good read.

I used to do the bulk cooking but have wavered from that path in the last couple of years. I cook when I'm inspired, construct the rest of the time! LOL

Back
Top Bottom