Great Banana Muffins for Diabetics and everybody else too.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xmascarol1

Senior Cook
northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a wat
My husband is diabetic, so I adapt as many recipes as I can so he can enjoy treats too. But I myself can hardly stand the sweet fatty bakery muffins. These are so easy and sooo good. I always 3 or 4 frozen bananas to use too.
In a blender put:
4-5 overripe banana
1 cup prune puree or applesauce
2 eggs
blend until smooth
In a bowl mix:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. oat bran
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. soda
1/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Fold the puree from the blender into the dry ingredients and mix until just mixed. Don't overmix.
Put into greased muffin tins and bake at 350 for about 20 min or until done.

Would you happen to know the calorie count on these muffins?

I just did a rough estimate by using Calorie Counter Database - Free Online Diet Program (they have a recipe analyzer that I use frequently)

I used the below, altered a bit from the original recipe:

4 bananas
1 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup ground flax seed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped

12 muffins: 174 calories, 6.4 grams fat, 25 grams carbs, 5 grams fiber, 5.4 grams protein.

thanks

Wow, that's great that you figured that. I'm going to put that site in my favorites. And I'm glad to know that the muffins are only 174 calories. My homemade applesauce is without sugar, so I suppose I could subtract a few there. Considering how high regular muffins are, it's worth it. These muffins are more rustic and a bit more chewy that those sugary, oil laden ones, but we love them I make them and freeze them. Then when I want to have a couple, we split them and toast them in the toaster oven. We do put butter on them though.

an addition

Sometimes I substitute 1/2 cup oat bran for equal amount of ww flour. Great if you're trying to get your cholesterol down. Also feel free to add such things as a handful of dried cherries, currants or raisins. Soak them first to keep the batter from getting too dry.

I am going to try these too - I'm always on the hunt for some healthy muffin recipes.

I made this today...(with help from DW)...Without flax seed --- Pecans instead of Walnuts -- Cake Spice instead of cinnamon...Very, Very tasty...Not to sweet...Very moist! ...Oh.. in a loaf pan...not muffins!

Hey Uncle B, I made them too for my Dad. I also used pecans, left in the flax (but used ground), and stuck with the cinnamon and muffin pans. They turned out wonderful and he loves them!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom