My son was in a wreck last night

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
Thankfully he's okay!!! :cry:
But, his car was towed. There was 3 cops and 2 of them were in his face the entire time yelling at him asking him what he had been drinking and what bar he came out of. They gave him a field sobriety test, which he passed with flying colors and no drugs in the car. What my son said happened is this. He was going east and the other 2 vehicles were headon going west. The first truck turned left in front of him and he was able to slow down enough to avoid him, but, the car right behind him continued to turn too and my son hit him. It was raining and he was just unable to stop. He slammed on the brakes, but, slid right into him. The other driver was never tested!!!! DS said he could smell it on him as he is screaming in his face threatening him that he better not see him walking on the road!!!:angry:
The one nice cop backed the guy up off of him and told him not to talk to him like that and walked him away. We have to wait until next week to get to get the report and have to pay $7 for it. He's scared and so upset about the car. He just got it a month ago and he barely makes $7 an hour and just can't afford to fix it. Did not get any of the other guys information from being so scared and shaken up and he didn't know what to do. Hopefully, we can get the information from the police.
I will be SO glad when 07 is over!!!!

Texasgirl, so sorry to hear about your troubles. Unfortunately, many police think the younger driver is at fault. I understand how upset he is and you are for him! I hope your son didn't get cited for any violation in addition to the accident. The other things will work themselves out. Just be thankful he wasn't injured or worse!

TG I am so very sorry to hear this. You as well as your son must be feeling very shocked and shaken. Why is it that the police,( in the UK as well) always feel they have a right to pick on young people.
I am just so sorry.
img_521662_0_d1768eadde5db23679fbcf2fdebe323c.gif

I know exactly how you feel. Fortunately for us, the local comps know me and my kids. Whenever anything happened, they knew my crew weren't drinking or messing with drugs.

We did have an incident in my back yard. A freind of my eldest daughter, from British Columbia, was visiting. He tossed a fire-cracker out of my my youngest son's bedroom window. It landed near to where our dog was tied up. A cop lived behind us and came out to holler at my son, who was in the back yard. That particualar son didn't like this particular cop. And in fact, my son had nothing to do with the firecracker incident, but didn't want our visitor to get into trouble, and so took the blame. The cop yelled, my son yelled, my son ended up in juvenile court and received a sentence of 2 weeks community service, and 6 months probation. I still don't care for that cop. Sometimes, not always, but too often, people in authority positions abuse their power.

I hope all goes well for your son. I know that as a parent, you are worried for him.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I do understand, very well.

But your son is alive, not hurt, and will be able to go on.

Stuff, even very nasty stuff, happens to all of us. But he came out OK. Thank God.

Do the best yu can with getting some bucks back, but give your kid a hug.

He is still with us.

Stuff can be replaced, children, as I know so well, cannot be.

Shouldn't the Police given your son a copy of an accident report. They do here in Mississippi. The first vehicle, driver information etc. on the report is the one that was at fault.

The main thing is he is Ok! Stay chilled TG...It will all work out.

TG sorry to hear about your son, I'm glad he's ok. Police make everyone nervous and are very intimidating especially to young people, continue to stand behind your son. I know here if you turn in front of someone your at fault. Wait to see what the report says then go from there. Good Luck.

Texasgirl, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I'm glad he wasn't hurt physically, but is he alright emotionally; what with the cops yelling, the idiot yelling and his new car being wrecked? Give him lots of hugs and 1 from me. I know what you are both going through and it's not easy but you will pull through. Dawn T

Glad to hear everyone was ok. I'm an EMT and have dealt with tons of cops on scenes. The cop shouldn't have been yelling at your son but just remember that cops have bad days too. You will want to keep an eye on your son even though didn't feel hurt during the wreck he could have hurt himself and not felt it because of adreniline.

So glad that your son and noone else was unhurt, Texasgirl------a shame about the blame game. More painful is that insurance rates are higher for young men and rates usually go up whether there's fault or not.....a helpful hint for anyone is to have a disposable camera and pen and paper in the glove compartment just in case of wrecks. You also might want to check if your insurance company gives a discount for good report cards. Ours did. Hang in there....

Thank you all for the hugs! I am VERY glad that my son is alive and well. That is what I keep telling him. So many things could have gone wrong in that one second and he has to thank god that he is still here. He is very depressed right now. He was just starting to get going with his life and this happens. I talked to the owner of the wrecker service and the radiator is completely gone and the front body damage is pretty extensive, but, not totaled. This is not a good Christmas for him, but, he's alive and he will learn from it.
Uncle Bob, we live in this little town of good ole boys and they will have a report ready for him next week. I am calling the chief on Monday and see if he can at least tell me what they found to show who was at fault. I pray that this doesn't turn out to be like another time with him and the cops are friends with the guy and it falls on my son. If it was his fault, fine, he has to deal with it and get the car fixed, but, if it is the other guys fault, then I hope he had insurance to pay for the car being fixed.
Emotionally, he down right now, but, he'll be okay. I'll make sure of that!!

So glad that your son and noone else was unhurt, Texasgirl------a shame about the blame game. More painful is that insurance rates are higher for young men and rates usually go up whether there's fault or not.....a helpful hint for anyone is to have a disposable camera and pen and paper in the glove compartment just in case of wrecks. You also might want to check if your insurance company gives a discount for good report cards. Ours did. Hang in there....

He's 22:)
He wouldn't have gotten the discount anyway, he graduated by the skin of his teeth. LOL

I'm so sorry, texas. I've been through a few wrecks with my kids and it's really hard. Of course, the main thing is he's OK. But it is really tough for them when all of a sudden, they have no transportation and not enough money to get the car fixed immediately. Tell him we're all glad he's alive and hope he'll be able to work something out with the mechanic. And good luck with the police.

IF he has to go to court, is there someway you can ask if the other driver was given a sobriety test. Maybe it can be emphasized that this didn't happen and maybe it will be dismissed. And maybe someone else can give better information (lawyer-type info) than I can.

I'm glad your son is safe. He's probably still a bit shaken though. Has he been checked at hospital?

Texas girl You have my deepest concern for your son and his well being. I once was in law enforcement and we had more than our share of neanderthal cops, we called them Rambo and badge happy.. Get him a lawyer if things turn sour, at his age a bad mark will cost him forever. He has my best wishes. I despise the good ole boys network for what they are king size JERKS. I much prefered cooking to law enforcement.

Back
Top Bottom