Update on our neighbour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

csalt

Sous Chef
The latest update.

progress.gif
John remains in hospital ( where he has been since 27th November)
Sadly his progress has been minimal. He remains paralysed down one side and the phsyio has as yet to obtain some results. He has lost 2 stone from his already slender frame.
Over the weekend he was extremely poorly with a urinary infection and a raging throat infection.
Sheila continues to visit every day and demonstrate enormous courage.
Yesterday we picked her up at 5.00p.m.
An hour later I had a call from her to say she was feeling very ill. I was round there in seconds. Now here is the great benefiscence of God.
The surgery was still open.
The Duty Doctor said that she would wiat for us.
The other Ann ( neighbour the other side) dropped everything to come with us in case Sheila became worse while I drove.
I, who never drive at night got us there in record time ( without breaking the speed limit)
The Doctor checked Sheila over thoroughly and said it was nothing serious. She had a slight glandular infection and may have had a small panic attack because of the extreme anxiety over the weekend.
Her daughter came and spent the night with her.
This morning she is fully recovered.
I cannot tell you how grateful I am to be able to come here and receive words of encouragement and support for Sheila.
( Also that we have a wonderful medical practice. The Doctor and Receptionist both were so kind in waiting for us and treating us with so much compassion.

These are for you all
img_521802_1_7dd2877f26001d7673b30513aa44f321.jpg

Last edited:
I hope things will continue to improve for John, and Sheila is lucky to have your support during this time! I have been wondering what was wrong with me at times...Now I know! It's a Stiff Brain!!:)

Thanks for the update on your friend and neighbor!

Thanks for the update. Prayers and good thoughts still on the way.

kadesma

God bless them.

I too suffer from stiff brain syndrom. I wonder if the boss will buy that.

Good news that your neighbor is coming along. It will probably be a journey of many days, but with support of neighbors like you, the trip will be lighter.

Ah, at last, a reason for some of my brain/memory problems...stiff brain! Thanks for the explanation. I know I have stiff leg and arm syndrome. Never tied it to my brain.

csalt, I'm so glad to hear your neighbors still have a fine sense of humor. Sometimes things are just so rotten, you have to laugh to keep from going off the deep end. And I think I'll borrow the "stiff brain" explanation for some of my own lapses - thanks!

Sorry to hear that John isn't progressing as hoped. The weight loss and illness though isn't surprising - hospitals are terrible places and both of these things are often what happens, irrespective of why he is there. Sheila is probably so run-down, her body was probably ready to grab the first bug that passed close by. I know it is unlikely to happen, but it would be good if she could stay at home for a couple of days and be pampered a bit.

Maybe someone can take in some food for John in a manner suitable for him to eat. An alternate to hospital food can sometimes help. Maybe he also needs a different physio, one that he may gell with a bit more. We all respond better to one person over another.

After these infections are dealt with, would he be up to going home for a day visit? He may respond better when in his home environment. Some people just do not get better in hospital and it is a state of the mind in a lot of cases. I know in my first month in hospital, I just wanted to get out of that place. The first couple of weeks were okay cos I was so sick, it was the only place to be, and I had some lovely people in my room. As I started to get better, I wanted to have a shower in better conditions, see my cats, eat real food, have coffee that tasted like coffee, and so forth. Each time I thought I was going home, something would happen and they wouldn't release me. It is depressing. Going home for the day was wonderful - not that I did much, a load of washing, stroked all my cats, had a lay down and lunch, etc. I was very upset going back to the hospital and was quite down the next day but it still gave me that mental boost and something to aim for. It may be what he needs so that he really knows that it is the intention to send him home. Sometimes you wonder if you are ever getting out and after a stroke, I would imagine that this feeling would be amplified compared to me. Words sometimes just seem like words.

I hope John turns that corner that we are all waiting for, and that Shirley is able to take a break and recover soon. And good health to you too Csalt. The worry can play with your health too, so take care.

They have been out to assess the bungalow to see what alterations need doing in readiness for when he is discharged and John knows that so will look forward to it. Over the weekend he was just too ill to talk or anything.
Bilby I do hope you too are on the mend now?
You sound very courageous to me.

No courage here!! Just you do what you do to stay alive. My biggest asset is probably being able to depersonalise my situation. I don't think about me as me so I just do what I do. My first month in hospital was in 2002 so, yeah I'm over that!! Had a kidney transplant in November 06 so life goes on. (Thankfully!!! LOL)

Glad that John really knows he is going home. I often get put into rooms with the older ladies so I see the difference of these women mentally when they have something to respond to. In some cases, that has just been me. I'm normally able to walk and talk and I always go back to the same ward so the nurses (who are often the same) let me do whatever I like but they also know that I will help them out and feed some of the patients or get them blankets, etc. That's why I get put into those rooms so that these women that are often lonely and feeling like their life is in dire straits feel like they have a companion in the room. They do perk up. And that's why I mentioned keeping John believing that he will be getting out. And it is good that he does know it. I'll keep hoping for him Csalt.

Now here is the great benefiscence of God.

There are times and how special they are, when words just 'jump' off the page(computer). How wise you are csalt to include and give the thanks to the ONE who deserves! This is so important. As the minister said today, what you sow you reap. I am praying for your neighbors and you csalt. Wish I had a neighbor such as you! You are loved. Thanks for remembering to keep us informed. I do so appreciate it.

Bilby, when I read your response it applies so often to experience in my own. One lady in hospital with my mother had stroke. When she got put in hospital her husband said he wanted divorce. Same story applies to man my brother in nursing home. Seems when life gives you a disappointment, someone you hoped would support you, doesn't. Not only do they not help but gives you more heartache. I thank you Bilby for your time in expressing your feelings and opinion here. Sure helps me.

Thanks to you Bilby, Dave and In the K for your kind and encouraging responses.
The Social Worker has had a long talk with Sheila today and advised her to cut down her visiting hours in order to maintain her strength. She is feeling much better today. She said John was 'belligerent' today and we all see that as a good sign.!

csalt, is John able to speak yet? It is so frustrating not to be able to communicate, besides having your body "fail" you in this way. And sometimes I think it is harder for men to be in the position of having to rely on others for everything. I agree with Sheila, getting cranky is a very good sign, even if Sheila is bearing the brunt of it. And bless you for being such a good friend. Your love and help is priceless.

Yes F's M, he can speak; not for too long, but enough to tell Sheila to stop trying to control him!!

c-salt,
take it from a very poor patient, getting grumpy is a good thing..My whole family just learned this. John, will heal, it takes time we are not 20 anymore, so it takes time...He will realize what a support system he has and I bet he already does...He is in good hands and with you and his wonderful wife by his side, he can't lose.

kadesma

Back
Top Bottom