Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Cookware (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f89/)
-   -   Carbon steel fry pan with non-stick coating (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f89/carbon-steel-fry-pan-with-non-stick-coating-41064.html)

harryf 12-15-2007 11:04 PM

Carbon steel fry pan with non-stick coating

Is it a good to get a carbon steel fry pan with non-stick coating?

I am concerned about the non-stick coating getting into my food over time and use.

It is almost impossible to find a carbon steel fry pan that is not coated in non-stick coating.

I hear that the non-stick coating is not meant to take high heat. Well... I am planning to use it on an open fire. So I am worried about it.

Another thing, this fry pan is going to be used outdoors/camping and stuff. So it is going to take more beating than a home use one. Which might contribute to the coating breaking down quicker.

Andy M. 12-15-2007 11:17 PM

It has been detrmined that any bits of teflon that may get into your food are harmless. They simply pass through your system.

More of a concern is the high heat your pan could be exposed to. It has been proven that the nonstick surface will begin to break down at temperatures in the mid 500 F. range. The gases given off during this breakdown can cause death in small domestic pet birds and flu like symptoms in humans.

I would recommend a pan without a nonstick coating for your circumstances.

A quick Google search revealed these.

harryf 12-15-2007 11:24 PM

I would like a pan without a non-stick coating too. But the problem I mentioned earlier is: Not being able to find one in local department stores.

I love frying fish on an open fire and that coating is bad in that kind of heat.

Andy M. 12-16-2007 09:26 AM

Harry, if you don't want to order online, check your yellow pages for restrauant supply stores. They may have what you want or a reasonable substitute. Restaurant supply stores also carry a variety of aluminum pans that could serve your needs.

ChefJune 12-16-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryf (Post 521943)
Is it a good to get a carbon steel fry pan with non-stick coating?

I am concerned about the non-stick coating getting into my food over time and use.

It is almost impossible to find a carbon steel fry pan that is not coated in non-stick coating.

I hear that the non-stick coating is not meant to take high heat. Well... I am planning to use it on an open fire. So I am worried about it.

Another thing, this fry pan is going to be used outdoors/camping and stuff. So it is going to take more beating than a home use one. Which might contribute to the coating breaking down quicker.

imho, there is no reason to buy a carbon steel frying pan if it HAS a non-stick coating. That would negate all the reasons I love my carbon steel pans! Restaurant supply stores all sell carbon steel skillets without that extra coating, and they will likely cost you substantially less.

Leave it to the fancy cookware companies to muck up a great product and then charge big bucks for it! :rolleyes:

GB 12-16-2007 09:51 AM

If you want something that can take a beating and can be used on an open fire and camping then your best bet is a cast iron pan.

Michael in FtW 12-16-2007 09:37 PM

Aluminum will work just fine as a replacement for carbon-steel cookware. But, if you have your heart set on steel - look for enamel-coated steel ... you should be able to find it in most sporting goods/camping stores, some hardware stores, and sometimes in Army-Navy stores. You might also check the sporting goods departments of department stores, WalMart/K-Mart/Target, etc. It's generally either blue or black with white speckles, but I have seen some that was read with white speckles - and some that was white with blue speckles.

Robo410 12-16-2007 10:59 PM

chefscatalogue both online and throught the catalogue have great carbon steel pans wihtout coating.

Michael in FtW 12-16-2007 11:06 PM

Here is the link to the carbon steel cookware at chefscatalog.com

VitaWright 12-17-2007 09:53 AM

Surprisingly Wal-Mart sells a really nice Carbon Steel Wok. I have been thinking of picking it up myself.