Carbon steel fry pan with non-stick coating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryf

Assistant Cook
Is it a good to get a carbon steel fry pan with non-stick coating?

I am concerned about the non-stick coating getting into my food over time and use.

It is almost impossible to find a carbon steel fry pan that is not coated in non-stick coating.

I hear that the non-stick coating is not meant to take high heat. Well... I am planning to use it on an open fire. So I am worried about it.

Another thing, this fry pan is going to be used outdoors/camping and stuff. So it is going to take more beating than a home use one. Which might contribute to the coating breaking down quicker.

Last edited:
It has been detrmined that any bits of teflon that may get into your food are harmless. They simply pass through your system.

More of a concern is the high heat your pan could be exposed to. It has been proven that the nonstick surface will begin to break down at temperatures in the mid 500 F. range. The gases given off during this breakdown can cause death in small domestic pet birds and flu like symptoms in humans.

I would recommend a pan without a nonstick coating for your circumstances.

A quick Google search revealed these.

I would like a pan without a non-stick coating too. But the problem I mentioned earlier is: Not being able to find one in local department stores.

I love frying fish on an open fire and that coating is bad in that kind of heat.

Harry, if you don't want to order online, check your yellow pages for restrauant supply stores. They may have what you want or a reasonable substitute. Restaurant supply stores also carry a variety of aluminum pans that could serve your needs.

Is it a good to get a carbon steel fry pan with non-stick coating?

I am concerned about the non-stick coating getting into my food over time and use.

It is almost impossible to find a carbon steel fry pan that is not coated in non-stick coating.

I hear that the non-stick coating is not meant to take high heat. Well... I am planning to use it on an open fire. So I am worried about it.

Another thing, this fry pan is going to be used outdoors/camping and stuff. So it is going to take more beating than a home use one. Which might contribute to the coating breaking down quicker.
imho, there is no reason to buy a carbon steel frying pan if it HAS a non-stick coating. That would negate all the reasons I love my carbon steel pans! Restaurant supply stores all sell carbon steel skillets without that extra coating, and they will likely cost you substantially less.

Leave it to the fancy cookware companies to muck up a great product and then charge big bucks for it! :rolleyes:

If you want something that can take a beating and can be used on an open fire and camping then your best bet is a cast iron pan.

Aluminum will work just fine as a replacement for carbon-steel cookware. But, if you have your heart set on steel - look for enamel-coated steel ... you should be able to find it in most sporting goods/camping stores, some hardware stores, and sometimes in Army-Navy stores. You might also check the sporting goods departments of department stores, WalMart/K-Mart/Target, etc. It's generally either blue or black with white speckles, but I have seen some that was read with white speckles - and some that was white with blue speckles.

chefscatalogue both online and throught the catalogue have great carbon steel pans wihtout coating.

I thought of aluminum and cast iron before, but they both do not have the same ideal feel in terms of weight.

Another thing, the cast iron is much thicker than the carbon steel, I figure that means it would take it longer to get hot and do not transfer heat as efficient.

I will look into the camping stores first (since a folding handle is good) then the cooking supplies store.

Cast iron transfers heat extremely well. Yes it takes longer to heat up, but we are not talking much time at all. Cast iron has been a favorite for camping (and kitchen) for a long long time becacuse of its durability and heat retention.

I am starting to get interested in the cast iron.

Is the cast iron pan seasoned the same way I would season a carbon steel pan? And how often must I re-season it? As often as I should with the carbon steel?

If I have a bad habit of leaving my pan unattended and it keeps on taking the heat, which of the 2 would take a better beating?

they are very similar...the carbon steel heats faster and is easier to season at first. Both keep getter better the more you use them. de Buyer is the French company that makes great carbon steel pans for restaurants and now home use. Heavy quality cookware. CHef's sells them.

For taking a beating I would go with cast iron.

The piece I use when camping I abuse the heck out of. It usually ends up in the campfire for the night after we are done cooking (and have a few beers in us) and stays there all night.

I love cast iron ... but if it is for camping there are a couple of things to consider: (1) are you going to hike in with it or just drive up to your campsite, and (2) what is your heat source? If you can have an open camp fire then cast iron will be great - but if you're using a propane stove - you'll want something that heats faster - like aluminum or enameled steel.

I definitely agree that using CI for hiking would be miserable. For car camping it is great. I am not sure I agree about not using it on a propane stove though. As long as it can fit on the grates, I see no problem using it. It will take a little longer to heat up, but it will hold onto that heat very well. Aluminum and steel would be great choices for propane grill cooking too, but I would not dismiss CI for that purpose.

I have never used an aluminum fry pan before. But I know for a fact that it scratches easily and does not go well with acidic food. And read that it collects food particles frequently. Enameled steel is very rare in my area.

Back
Top Bottom