Rants and Raves!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lightblb

Assistant Cook
Hi I’m not a professional cook but love cooking and wanted to make this forum so we can discuss things we like and don’t like about cooking. I wanted to rave about my new Hot Taco Taco Makers I they are absolutely amazing, made my life so much easier. Before I found it a little clumsy making Tacos but with the Taco makers I can do 4 at a time with ease.

Now I just need to find a solution to peeling, I love cooking but find the pealing can be a little tedious at times. I’m starting to develop RSI in my hands so my rave is, why doesn’t someone invent a machine that can peel ?!?!?!

Look forward to hearing your views……………….

Hi I’m not a professional cook but love cooking and wanted to make this forum so we can discuss things we like and don’t like about cooking. I wanted to rave about my new Hot Taco Taco Makers I they are absolutely amazing, made my life so much easier. Before I found it a little clumsy making Tacos but with the Taco makers I can do 4 at a time with ease.

Now I just need to find a solution to peeling, I love cooking but find the pealing can be a little tedious at times. I’m starting to develop RSI in my hands so my rave is, why doesn’t someone invent a machine that can peel ?!?!?!

Look forward to hearing your views……………….
:)Welcome,could you please explain what a hot taco maker is?Also what are you peeling and what is RSI?I have carpal tunnel in bothe hands is it the same thing?

jpmcgrew said:
... what is RSI?I have carpal tunnel in bothe hands is it the same thing?

Repetitive Strain Injury - can involve multiple muscles in the arms, neck, back, etc. - Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is just one form of RSI caused by the compression of the median nerve running through the wrist.

lightblb said:

LOL - yep, peeling is tedious and boring. Here are your options, other than hiring a prep-cook ....

The Hobart 6414C (root veg peeler) - $5,00 - $6,000:

6414_Jpeg.jpg

Semi-automated Potato - Apple peeler/corer: about $20-$40 depending on brand:

31XG60BTMSL._AA280_.jpg

"Y" shaped hand peelers - about $10:

310D6DGR0HL._AA280_.jpg

FWIW - I got my Mom and my 2 aunts one of the OXO y-peelers a couple of years ago because they all have arthritis - and they say these are mych easier to use than the old standard style peelers.

Hope this helps ...

Last edited:
I have a Apple Peeler I bought in Wisconsin at a apple fest . The lady that sold it to me said"" you can peel a bushel of apples a hour with this machine..I belive her. They are very easy to use and the slices they produce make a bang up apple pie/sauce, or what ever you want to use apples for.

Try buying vegetables with good quality skins and then just a scrub in the water is sufficient for a lot of veges and then you don't need to peel at all. Good nutrition in a lot of the skins and provided the skins aren't badly marked or tough, you don't notice them.

Some skins you can cut off as well which is a bit gentler on your muscles and therefore your RSI.

Also with the RSI, try changing the height at which you are cutting. Have a google for the most ergonomic way to peel vegetables. (It may be that you need to get a big block and put that on the dining table to cut on instead of the kitchen bench.) Also don't just peel endlessly. With RSI, you are meant to vary your tasks to stop the muscles bunching up.

Rats .... how could I have forgotten about these! Sorry, lightblb.

The EZ Peel Gloves - $10

These work for root vegetables - but they have to be par-boiled first (something they don't mention in the commercials)!

ez_pel_thumb.jpg

The Rotato Express - $25

Now, IF it actually works like it does on TV - this is probably the best solution for the most applications for someone with arthritis or RSI - IMHO.

rot_exp_thumb.jpg

:)For my carpal tunnel I usually wear a wrist brace with a metal shank on both wrists to sleep at night if its real bad I wear one in the day as well.Havn't had tennis elbow in a long time.Finally have control over the plantar fasciitis in both feet.I bought the Crocs orthopedic clogs called Cloud Relief they worked instantly.

Back
Top Bottom