Is it possible to make sauces/gravies from a nonstick pan?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I bought a nonstick roasting pan because I thought it would make cleanup a lot easier. However, I have never been able to make a decent gravy or sauce from the pan drippings. After doing some research it appears as though nonstick pans do not get the same brown bits at the bottom that are necessary for deglazing. So am I basically out of luck with this pan if I want to make a sauce or gravy?

If that is the case, does anyone have any recommendations for a good roasting pan?

When you use a non-stick roasting pan, most of those flavor-packed brown bits stay on the meat rather than sticking to the pan. Good for the taste of the roast, not so good for the taste of the gravy.

What you can do is toss some cut up veggies into the pan and roast them along with the meat. Chunks or thick slices of onion, carrot, celery and garlic will caramelize and pick up some of the juices from the meat. They can serve as the base for a tasty gravy.

Wow, Andy, I didn't know that about the veggies! I just switched to stainless steel so I could make sauces. But my sons prefer non-stick so this is a tip they will love. Thanks!

use the veggies as the rack for the roast and you'll get some nice results. Carrots parsnips onion are great with meat and poultry.

Back
Top Bottom