The essential kitchen..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnBail

Assistant Cook
Hi,

so what are the essential items that you should have in your

a) freezer
b) kitchen
c) cupboards

Thanks
John

Hi, John. Welcome to DC.

I'll make a deal with you. Tell me everything you ever cook and I'll tell you what your essentials are.

If you cook a lot of Mexican, the essentials are very different from if you cook mostly vegetarian, or Italian or Thai, etc.

Hmm in case of emergencies I like to always keep: Mince, tinned tomatoes, packet french onion soup, Tomato paste and pasta on hand. then I can aways whip up a quick bolognaise.

Has helped the few times I haven't been able to go grocery shopping on time.

Agree with Andy. We are not bakers at all and use flour only to make a roux so it ain't an essential.

Whereas I am sure others would find it a necessity.

But almost everything we make starts with an onion.

And I can work hot sauce and Wrocestershire sauce into almost anything.

It depends upon what you like to eat and cook.

But if I am without chicken stock I panic.

well I love Indian food with a passion but I also like french food and spanish food. I get some money later so I can do some shopping!

Just any ideas you have really would be great. I am also looking for bit of a change so any ideas there would be good!

I like mexican food so if you have any ideas here then let me know.

Here's how I started out.

I'd plan a couple of recipes and go out and buy the stuff I needed to make them. Usually, the quantities you buy are way more than you need so you have extra, that goes into your freezer, kitchen, cupboard.

Next time you plan some different recipes and the excess gets stored away. Gradually you accumulate a pantry full of stuff that you actually use.

Good Luck!

Hi,

so what are the essential items that you should have in your

a) freezer
b) kitchen
c) cupboards

Thanks
John

Freezer: Homemade mother sauces and tomato sauce. Cranberries. Chopped spinach. Hagan-Dazs Dark chocolate-pomegranate ice cream (this last one is just a personal thing)

Kitchen: Most of what I have, which is almost everything.

Cupboards: Kosher salt. A full array of spices. boullion granules. Cooking chocolate. Olive oil.

If you like Mexican, the staples are: canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, long grain rice, pinto beans. You will also need to keep some produce on hand: onions, garlic, cilantro, and lime. There are some key spices to keep on hand: cumin, garlic powder, chicken bouillon, and seansoned salt.

Hope this helps.

I think it depends on what you cook or bake mostly. My essentials cans of Campbell's soups, cream of mushroom, cream of celery, cream of chicken and so on. Cans of Tomato Sauce and purree. Egg noodles and all kinds of pasta. In the freezer, mostly chicken and ground beef and frozen meatballs.
Sugar, flour and salt are other essentials for me. :chef:

If it's a large freezer, stock up on large meats.... I mean turkeys, chickens, hams, beef roasts. There are buy 1 get one free deals very often. Do it, go back 2x that week if you can. I've gotten by on quite a lean grocery budget week this way. Some of them can get you 5 meals out of 1 piece.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom