Cooking a turkey in an oven bag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cherryleebee

Assistant Cook
Help! I was advised by a friend that the the best way to cook a turkey is in an oven bag. She says that it takes only 10 minutes per lb. for a stuffed turkey. Has anybody tried it and how many minutes/lb would you cook a stuffed 15 lb. bird?? I would hate to invite everyone for Christmas dinner and then poison them with an undercooked bird!!

Welcome to DC CherryLeeBee! I have cooked hams in oven bags with excellent results but not a turkey. I can tell you that they are excellent for making the meat moist and juicy and are brilliant at minimising the clean-up - just chuck the bag away! The packet of bags should have cooking times on the box and should also tell you to put some flour in the bag to stop it exploding and to pierce the bag in a couple of places near the tie.

Look I have just grabbed my box of bags which says for a turkey over 8lbs (over 4 kgs) 12 mins per half kilo in an oven set to 190C (gas)/200C (electric). I think 2.2lbs = 1 kg but just double check. This box also says that the oven temp should not exceed 200C.

Hope that helps as a starting point but I would recommend that you look at the box as brands may be different.

Good luck!

Thanks for the help, Bilby (and the warm welcome too)! I think I'll trust your judgment then, and cook it for about 12 minutes per lb. A half kilo is just over 1 lb, right? Appreciate your expertise!

Back
Top Bottom