I'm just waitin' on a friend.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i found out last night that one of my best friends only has a few days to live unless he gets a heart transplant. they figure tuesday, the latest.

my buddy ozzy and i have been friends since we were boy scouts together, about 30 years ago. i mean, we've been bestest friends, roommates, and all but genetically related brothers for 3/4's of our lives, until we had a falling out around the time i had my son.
recently, he called me to try to patch things up, but i resisted. and now there may be no time left.

i can't begin to tell you how heavy my heart is today.

i'd like to ask if everyone could say a little prayer or send good thoughts his way, so that a miracle occurs and he gets the transplant, or that his last days are easy, and god accepts him into his grace quickly.

if nothing else, i hope there's enough time for me to go see him and say goodbye.

A smile relieves a heart that grieves
Remember what I said
I'm not waiting on a lady
I'm just waiting on a friend

Last edited:
Dear buckytom Surely your prayer requests are answered. May God the creater of all grant you and your friend peace and that he be kept from mental, emotional and physical anguish. You are included in that prayer.

Bucky I am so sorry to hear that. You of course have my biggest prayers. I hope you get the time you need to say goodbye to your friend and make things right, but even if you don't, I am sure he knows how you truly free about him. You have been brothers for a long long time and those feelings run deep. A falling out does not erase that. Just think of how you "really" feel about him and you will know in your heart that he loves you like you love him.

I hope and pray that he makes it though this and if that is not in the cards then he goes quickly and peacefully. I really feel for you man!

How terrible BT! Was it a sudden illness, or has it been coming on for a while? At least at his age, he will be right up on top of the transplant list, so don't give up hope just yet.

When dialysis started to fail me, I was bumped up the list and was lucky enough to receive a donor kidney last November. My doctor hadn't told me just how bad I was, but the weekend doctors let it slip that the transplant came thru in just the nick of time. It wasn't a great match, and the disease that gave me kidney failure in the first place has now infected the new kidney, and as such I am deemed to great a risk of rejection to return to work any time soon (most people are back after a few weeks/months). While a kidney is nothing compared to a heart, a poor match is better than no match and doctors will do whatever they can to keep your mate alive and functioning.

You need to go see him for his benefit, if not yours, or if he is too far away, send him a letter or a video as he may not have enough breath to take a phone call. The more positive he remains, the better his fighting chance is. Just remember that his fight isn't over yet. My thoughts are with you BT, and your friend. All the best.

Bucky,
stop what you are doing, put how YOU feel aside and go to your friend..The minute you walk in that room the past will be forgotten and your friend and you will begin anew..Go now beating yourself up does nothing for either of you..Show the love you feel today and tonight, sleep will come a little easier for both of you...Prayers, and good thoughts for both of you..
kadesma

BT....Sorry to hear this about your friend. Prayers for both of you are being lifted up. BT...If there is anyway humanly possible, do what ever you have to do. May I repeat... do whatever you have to do to go to his side! You will never never regret having done so....Trust me, I know!

Dear Buckytom, I am so sorry for your sadness and your grief.
I am sorry that your dear friend is this ill.
This reads that you're beating yourself up for not going forward with your friend when he tried to patch things up, but that's in the past. You must forgive yourself and forget. It's counterproductive to hold onto that.

Please just do whatever you can to see him before any time passes. It's important for you and for him, to actually see each other again if that is even possible. It would be your best Christmas present to yourself, if you could make it happen somehow, but if not, call and talk as much as you can to let him hear your genuine love in hyour heart for him, and also, you would hear his love for you.

That may be one of the biggest healing moments for him and for you too.

Prayers have already been sent, I pray God's will Bucky as He knows best. Miracles are wonderful but sometimes God knows best what His will is and why. There is always a purpose and sometimes we see His purpose some time later.

Be strong Bucky, I am praying for you and your very good oldest buddy, hang in there, it's Christmas and you must try to remain your little boys daddy, as he knows you.

Wishing the best blessings for you and your friend in need.

Bucky,
stop what you are doing, put how YOU feel aside and go to your friend..The minute you walk in that room the past will be forgotten and your friend and you will begin anew..Go now beating yourself up does nothing for either of you..Show the love you feel today and tonight, sleep will come a little easier for both of you...Prayers, and good thoughts for both of you..
kadesma

Ditto. Do it before it's too late.

Buckytom, is it impossible for you to get there in time? I know how crazy your work and life can be. I hope and pray that somehow you can get to him in time, as I think that would be the greatest gift you could both receive (short of a donor heart).

My most fervent prayers for a miracle, tis the season after all, and for the Grace of God to be felt by both of you in this tough time.

Bucky reach for the phone.

Talk to him and then go.

We missed being with my fil by about an hour, he died while we were on the plane.

There was nothing we could do to get there faster.

But you can talk on the phone immediately.

All our best wishes with you.

thank you everyone.

unfortunately i'm stuck at work. because it's a weekend leading into a holiday, it's impossible for me to get out of the double shift today. my contract language doesn't allow me to take off on that short notice unless it's immediate family. even when dw and i were engaged and living together upstairs from her parents (they needed daily care), i couldn't get a day off for a death-in-family when her dad passed because he wasn't considered immediate family.

dw suggested i take my dinner and try to get to the transplant hospital in jersey city today, but it would take too long and i'd be risking my job. we're at skeleton crews this weekend through christmas, so the few of us around are responsible for the entire network's broadcast. and many of those in are low in seniority, experience, and occasionally brains.

i just pray that he makes it until tomorrow. i'll go to the hospital as soon as visitors are allowed in the morning. some mutual friends are keeping me updated.

thanks again for your thoughts and prayers.

Crap! I figured that might be the issue for you. I'm praying hard for you my friend, got a couple of decades with your name on them.

Bucky... Prayers have been said.

Hugs have been sent and good thoughts have
been thought.

BT All that any of us can do is, to do all we possibly can. Just get there when you can!
Maybe a phone call...just to say hey, I'm thinking of you, I'll be there tomorrow is in order. Or talk to a family member who can relay to him that you called will boost his spirits.....and yours.

wow - I am so sorry to hear this. Have you given your friends a message to give to your friend in the hospital? I hope you get to see him tomorrow. This is a really hard way to learn a life lesson. You and your friend are in my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom