Help! Sauce for Lasagne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swalker99

Assistant Cook
I make a great lasagne and can't stick to my past successful recipes. I am always trying to add new ingredients. (I am not sure why I feel the need to re-invent the wheel). Well this time I messed up and am not sure what I did, but it tastes either bitter or too something, I am not sure and I need to fix it today or start all over. It looks great and I hate to start over.

I used fresh basil and garlic; dried oregano, bay leaves, garlic powder, salt etc. and thyme ( this could be the problem, I am not sure why I threw it in, although I only used 1 T in a huge pot). Also have italian sausage, carrots, celery and onions - like I always do. This time I bought a different brand of canned crushed tomatoes that had oregano and spices in it. Should I try sugar? If so, how much?

Anyway, the sauce is either bitter or too strong with something. I am not sure how to fix it. Any ideas!

Susan

Welcome to DC, Susan! I wouldn't have thought the thyme would make something bitter, not unless it was contaminated/off in some way! Was it dried or fresh. Thyme smells sweet to me.

My random guess would be the additives in the tomatoes, secondly the sausage and thirdly the garlic. Garlic can go bitter I think when cooked - I think!!!!!

I guess sugar won't hurt it but tread lightly with it. If the problem is just a "too strong" something, sugar probably won't help either.

I don't usually make meat lasagnes so don't do a separate tomato sauce, just canned tomatoes with extras added. I prefer mine a bit on the tart side.

Hope someone comes along soon to help you.

I'd go with a touch of sugar. I find it balances things when you've got too much of another taste going on. But, like Bilby said, use a light hand!

Welcome to DC.

The seeds in the tomatoes or over cooking the garlic may be the culprit. I would add a small amount (about 1 tsp) of tomato paste. Taste as you go, you can always add more, but not take away. Some sweet basil may help as well.

My MIL's Italian neighbor advised her to put a pinch of cinnamon in lasagna sauce, to balance the acidity in the tomatoes. Possibly the different tomatoes you used are more acidic than what you usually use, so this might help. I think I'd start with the sugar and basil, though, and if that doesn't help, try the cinnamon. HTH.

btw, garlic does turn bitter when it burns, but I don't think the same is true of garlic powder - or, I should say, it doesn't seem that it would be as easy to burn garlic powder, since it's usually added with the tomatoes and other seasonings, rather than sauteed on its own, like fresh garlic.

I'd think it was the brand of tomatoes. But I think you should definitely taste your sauce before you assemble the ingredients into the lasagna, so you don't waste all the rest of it. Probably if you mess around with the sauce with sugar or perhaps the cinnamon, and maybe some more tomato paste, you'll get what you're looking for in taste.
btw, have you tried making your lasagna on top of the stove in your Dutch oven. It makes just the right amount for us, also keeping me from heating up the kitchen with the oven. Good luck anyway with your sauce!

Back
Top Bottom