How Should I Finish Cooking This Dish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
I have some very thin slices of pork (cut for something like scallopini, I guess). I plan on placing a slice of fresh mozzarella and some herbs on each one, then rolling/folding the meat over the cheese and securing each bundle with a toothpick. I'm going to brown them in a skillet with a little herb-infused olive oil and then add some chunky spaghetti sauce to the pan and finish them off in the oven.

This is where I always trip myself up cooking meat without a recipe. How long should I keep them in the oven? Do I cover the pan? Is 350 a good temp? Does this idea even sound like it will work?!?:rolleyes:

You can actually finish it on the stovetop, covered, over low heat. The meat will simmer in the sauce and be done in about 20 minutes.

pab, that's a version of pork brasciole. one of my faves.

the fattier the cut of pork, the more favorful and less dry it'll be. but i don't mind a little dryness if you can smother it in a good sauce, for health reasons.

the oven cooking at 325 to 350, covered after a deep, quick browning in smoking oo will make it slightly more tender imo.

that is beacuse there's no skin like on a sausage or improperly de-membraned chunk o' pork flesh like tenderloins. things with a skin should never be covered when cooking, or the skin toughens with steam.

the way around all of this is cooking low and slow, but then the cheese can run out if the brasiole are not tied well.

I agree with Andy. Scallopini is very thin & cooks very quickly. I'd just brown them, add your sauce, cover & simmer. Next time, you could dredge the slices in flour, egg & crumbs, if you like - and add a little lemon juice in place of tomato sauce. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom