How big is a medium onion?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NisAznMonk

Assistant Cook
Is it safe to assume that 1 medium onion = ~0.75lb?

If so then how many cups of chopped onion should I expect to get? I'm asking because I wanted to take a short cut and get the prepackaged McCormick chopped onion bottle, but I only bought a single 3oz container :dry:

you mean dehydrated onions? they are concentrated so you'll have quite a few onions in the little jar.

dehydrated onions or even onion powder can't always be subbed for fresh onion. (and vise versa) I'm not sure what your recipe is for but if it calls for fresh onion I'd use fresh onion.

I only use onion powder if I'm making a spice mix to say toss fried potatoes in, or as a rub for ribs.

If you want to post the recipe or tell us what your doing, perhaps one of use can give you a better idea about what to do :)

cheers!

Not sure how much a medium onion weighs, but I would guess about 1 cup of chopped onion.

I just went into the kitchen and the only onion I could find (we gotta ger some more tomorrow) was what I would call medium to large. I weighed 12.7 ounces.

Thinly diced, I would say half a cup.

Just chop up some fresh onions and keep them in a jar in your fridge. I only use those dehydrated onions if I need to add a little more onion to a soup or casserole. They don't taste like fresh onions at all. lol.. onions are the easiest and fastest vegs to chop. :)

Per the minced onion I have in the cabinet:
2 T minced onion = 1/3 cup fresh minced onion = 1 medium onion, chopped

Just chop up some fresh onions and keep them in a jar in your fridge. I only use those dehydrated onions if I need to add a little more onion to a soup or casserole. They don't taste like fresh onions at all. lol.. onions are the easiest and fastest vegs to chop. :)

When I come back to Houston I may need your help then. I chopped up my first shallot yesterday, and it took me nearly 2 hours. Part of it was because I'm unfamiliar with the techniques on how to chop up food quickly with a knife, and the other was because my eyes and nose couldn't take it for very long. I don't remember the last time I cried, but yesterday was pretty bad. :LOL:

Onion size

I am not sure of anything "official" with respect to sizing of onions, but here is the guideline I have always used:

Medium = Baseball size
Large = Softball size
Giant = larger than softball, up to 5-pin bowling ball size. And yes, I have seen and used onions that large :)

Azn..watch some cooking shows..you can really learn a lot from them..watch how they chop stuff :) and make sure your knives are sharp

Back
Top Bottom