Out of this world pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xmascarol1

Senior Cook
northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a wat
Way back in the 60's, Family Circle or Woman's Day published a paperback cookbook that I used a whole lot as a young wife. One of the best recipes in there became our family favorite, with a myriad of adaptations through the years. It was oatmeal pancakes. Here's the basic start recipe. Feel free to use walnuts , flaxseeds, banana slices, blueberries, etc.

Heat 1 can evaporated milk, diluted w/1 can water to scalding.
Pour it over 2 cups regular oatmeal, and let it set until just warm.
Melt 1/4 c. butter and add to the oat mixture.
Separate 2 eggs, and add the yolks to the oats.
Beat the egg whites until stiff and set aside.
To the oat mixture, add 1/3 c. all purpose flour, 1/4 t. salt, and 1 t baking powder. Finally fold in the egg whites, and bake on a hot griddle.

What's good about them is they're so adaptable, have very little wheat in them, and if you're an oatmeal fan, you'll love these. Try serving them with homemade blueberry syrup, or subbing ww flour for the all purpose flour. Add some bran if you like. Toast some walnuts, or add a couple banana slices to the baking cakes. Many times I've made it by using the right amount of hot water over the oats instead of the canned milk and just added powdered milk to the mixture when I added the yolks.

interesting, thanks for posting...one question, how much fluid is this;the canned milk and water together? I would not use the canned milk so I need to know how much fluid..

I like to use Jiffy Banana Walnut muffin mix to make pancakes with.. Wow, are they good... Add just a little Bisquick to it to lighten it up a bit.

Back
Top Bottom