Digital Camera question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeninga75

Sous Chef
I have a digital camera that is probably, I don't know, 5 or so years old. It's a Kodak Easy Share so a good brand. My question is has anyone had a camera get to the point where it can suck the life out of the batteries in a day? I noticed this happening a couple weeks ago. So I went and bought some Duracell rechargables, got them fully charged and threw a couple in. I was good to go all night. Trying to capture the hilarity of the cat and dog running all over the apt playing. (Yes... the cat chases the dog, that's why I was trying to video it :LOL:) Well they didn't get into it, so I called it a night. Well I'm home now and lo and behold they're playing... I grab the camera in anticipation and hopes of an amusing video I can put on youtube!!!! ...it's dead. Rechargable batteries that are supposed to last the life of 5000 regular batteries. I don't get it. Anyone have anything like this happen? Oh, I also smelled a metal-like odor from the battery compartment if that's any indication of anything.

Thanks for any info/help/advice in advance :punk:

Miss Jen...It's kinda obvious the Camera is a sick puppy. Something is drawing the batteries down. What?? I don't have a clue. My suggestion, Take it to a camera repair. Hopefully it is something simple, and will be cost effective to repair. If not, then you will face the decision of, Do I want to spend that much money on an old camera, when for just a few dollars more, I can buy a new one?? I hope this helps a little.

I have a Kodak Easy Share also. Mine is a couple years old, and I haven't had that problem. Mine doesn't seem to hold a charge as long as it used to, but it still holds one for quite a while. I think I just need new rechargeable batteries. The fact that you're smelling something odd doesn't sound too good. You might need a professional to look at it.

:huh:Barbara

My son's camera started doing that - draining batteries almost instantly - when he'd had it about 4 years. It was an HP, btw. Anyway, cameras have gotten so inexpensive that when he took it in to a camera shop, they told him it would cost much more to fix it than the camera is worth. So Santa brought him an awesome camera and it only cost Santa about $150.

The problem is after about 2-3 years the internal battery (not replaceable) dies. Then the "external" batteries (as we'll call them) have to do the work of both battery sets. It has to keep the date and time, the pictures, it has keep track of what number picture your are on, work the focus, the flash, okay, you get the picture. Rechargables will drain faster than regular batteries but they are better for the environment. As for a Kodak Easy Share I wouldn't touch one if it was given to me. I prefer HP and Fuji over Kodak as far as digital cameras that far back went.

To be completely honest, you need a new camera. You'll pretty much just keep rolling down the hill at this point.

Awsome guys, thank you. I'm glad to hear that this seems to be a common problem. Well, not glad your camera died, but glad I'm not alone. :ohmy:

I think I will head to Best Buy and Circuit City tomorrow or Saturday and start looking around. Anyone have any advice as to what's hot right now? Also, the memory card I have for this camera is a SanDisk 128 MB. Can this still be used with a new camera? Or have memory cards evolved?

Holy cow Fisher's Mom... I thought I was all up to date with my 3.1 MP!!!!! And for about the same price when I got it. I can't even imagine what those pics look like. :huh:

Thanks again for all your help and advice. :cool:

Last edited:
You should shop online. Canon, Nikon and Sony all make quality cameras that are available for deep discounts. Shopping for different models you may be able to find ones that use the same memory card.

Try Buy.com as one place to shop. I have found great deals there for various electronics.

I highly recommend getting one with optical image stabilization. It really works to eliminate blurry pics, especially in low light. You can use your old memory card as long as the new camera accepts the same type of cards eg. sd, xd, compact flash. You'll probably want a new one, too because you'll most likely get at least a 5 or 6 megapixel camera and those pics take up more room. Andy is right - buy online. You'll save the tax in many instances and it's often much less expensive. Buy.com and Amazon.com are both reputable and reliable. Go to the stores to touch them and try them but then order online. He's also right about the brands. I would also add Fuji as a good brand to look into. But I'm clearly partial to Canon.

Thanks, ya'll. I know zip about real photography. I've always had a little point and shoot digital camera without a lot of manual controls. Thank goodness, this new one has "Auto" settings! But it will do all sorts of stuff that I'm trying to learn. So far, only my cats are willing to let me practice for more than a few minutes!

Thanks, ya'll. I know zip about real photography. I've always had a little point and shoot digital camera without a lot of manual controls. Thank goodness, this new one has "Auto" settings! But it will do all sorts of stuff that I'm trying to learn. So far, only my cats are willing to let me practice for more than a few minutes!
Aren't cats so wonderfully cooperative until you flash them one time too many. :LOL:

Aren't cats so wonderfully cooperative until you flash them one time too many. :LOL:
:LOL: I discovered this. They were pretty happy to let me take all the pics I wanted during the daytime while they were lounging on my bed in the sun. But they disappeared about the third flash in the night time pics. (Quite a feat for the really big one.)

Well, this is my "kitty cat Jones town" notice the cooperation of sleeping cats with no flash.
img_529446_0_b25f42856e550703488aec6a7e1ceb9d.jpg

Yes, my friend, 7 in the picture. From left to right (back row) ~ Snuggled on the pillow is Maggie. She's the mama. Then there's TV (he likes to watch the TV), DiMera, Cali (the light gray calico), and Charlie. Second row is Bitty Girl and Boogity Boogity Boogity (the big black one). Boog is the one with his eye open and loves to explore outside. When I drive up he leads me to the house.

Missing there is Princess Sephy. She's a skinny little thing who likes her privacy, like most princesses. :)

Back
Top Bottom