System Restore Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

*amy*

Washing Up
Help needed, please.

Had some problems w my puter on Jan 3. Tried system restore (to a prior date), but it would not work. Disabled system restore in the hope of clearing it - then lost all restore dates prior to Jan 3. How can I get the older restore dates (prior to Jan 3) back? Thanks in advance.

Note: Please, please, please - if you are a new member, please do not post typewritten or otherwise links - or override the rules & post the link in your signature.

Thank you miniman.

Added note - a newbie posted a typewritten link - it was deleted by Andy M (thank you). Then the direct link to the member's site was posted in their signature (under 20 posts). When I have a chance I will follow up w Administration. Meanwhile, I would be most appreciative & grateful for any help in restoring my computer. Sorry - I am beside myself, having been unable to access, & then lost, recipes I've saved for years.

Last edited:
Thank you miniman.

Added note - a newbie posted a typewritten link - it was deleted by Andy M (thank you). Then the direct link to the member's site was posted in their signature (under 20 posts). When I have a chance I will follow up w Administration. Meanwhile, I would be most appreciative & grateful for any help in restoring my computer. Sorry - I am beside myself, having been unable to access, & then lost, recipes I've saved for years.

What's the big deal with the link?

What's the big deal with the link?

The Big Deal is there were problems with the link - that caused problems to my new computer when & new member tried to override the rules here! I will take it up with Administration.

Your firewall and/or antivirus software would prevent that. Are they turned on and updated?

If the disk is not bootable you can bring it somewhere to have the information copied or install it as a slave drive on another system.

Last edited:
Help needed, please.

Had some problems w my puter on Jan 3. Tried system restore (to a prior date), but it would not work. Disabled system restore in the hope of clearing it - then lost all restore dates prior to Jan 3. How can I get the older restore dates (prior to Jan 3) back? Thanks in advance.

Note: Please, please, please - if you are a new member, please do not post typewritten or otherwise links - or override the rules & post the link in your signature.

The answer is No. You probobly saw this message:

You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.

The Big Deal is there were problems with the link - that caused problems to my new computer when & new member tried to override the rules here! I will take it up with Administration.

Have you PMed anyone about this Amy? If not, could you fire one off to one of us, or hit the Contact Us link or post it here so we can follow up?

Can I go into Safe mode (F2)? Or is there some way to get back older restore dates? TIA

Have you PMed anyone about this Amy? If not, could you fire one off to one of us, or hit the Contact Us link or post it here so we can follow up?

I will Alix. Meanwhile, I just want to get back to restore - or any other ideas. Thank you.

I've got a bad feeling you might not be able to get back there, but if anyone can help you its the Castle Cops.

They have helped me with a lot of computer problems. Hope they can help you too.

I had a very good experience with Geek Squad.

I may have to call them out Andy. Bottom line, really, please don't override the rules (as Alix has pointed out), & post links for under 20 posts - be it to post your Blog or new recipe saving personal site. (The thread has been deleted, thank goodness, & for whatever it's worth the poster gives me Karma when I can't access their site - and no comment in the Karma.) Too twisted!

:wacko: I'm still totally lost on the link thing.

Anyway, if you have a Windows disk you could "repair" the OS by booting from the disk and not the hard drive. If your PC didn't come with a disk, I think the boot options menu (F8) will do the same thing using the recovery partition on the hard drive.

Good Luck.

No prob booting - problem accessing prog files etc & ran cc & changed registry. My only? hope is to get back to previous restore dates. I have a set of cables to hook up between computers & tranfer hopefully? data/files lost recipes. Don't know what else I can do.:(

Read this from Microsoft.

Copy all of your files to disk or another system as a back up. If you have a Windows disk, boot the PC from it. The first options will be "Install a new version of Windows" and "Repair a previous installation using the recovery console" Press OK for Install a new copy. DO NOT JUMP AHEAD. There will be an agreement screen and one that says something like "Repair the current installation" PRESS 'R' That's the option you want. It will then delete all the operating system files and install new ones without loosing your personal information.

Can I go into Safe mode (F2)? Or is there some way to get back older restore dates? TIA
No, sorry. We had this issue too on one computer and we lost everything she'd done. But a system restore is only for installed programs, it shouldn't change your documents.

Seems like you could look around using Windows Explorer and SEE if your files are still on the computer....

If you change the Hide System File settings, you can see the System Restore files too. If they are gone.... they are gone.

Back
Top Bottom