How can I add iron to my diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I am jumping the gun here, but I'm looking for ideas to add iron to my diet.

I wont touch liver or mussles or oysters or clams. I don't like green leafy veggies. Heck, I don't really like vegetables at all.

I am starting to not like red meat as much as I used to.

I'm so dang picky.......

I'll see my Dr on 1/18 but I'm thinking I'm anemic...that's the reason I want to boost my iron without taking a pill for it.

Wow. I must have an overabundance of iron. I love everything you don't like and eat them on a regular basis :) I didn't know clams and mussels contained iron, though... Thanks for the info.

Cook in a cast iron pan. Also try some of these:

beans, including kidney, lima, navy, black, pinto, soy beans, and lentils

iron fortified whole grains, including cereals, breads, rice, and pasta

chicken and turkey

nuts

egg yolks

dried fruits, such as raisins, prunes, dates and apricots

Here is one site that might help you understand how to boost your iron via diet ... the foods to eat, what not to eat, and how to get the most from what you do eat.

If you are anemic and if diet alone will not control it, then what's wrong with a pill to suppliment what you're not getting, or blocking, in your diet? Of course if a pill is that distasteful to you ... there is always the old weekly trip to the Dr. for a B-12 shot.

Last edited:
Here is one site that might help you understand how to boost your iron via diet ... the foods to eat, what not to eat, and how to get the most from what you do eat.

If you are anemic and if diet alone will not control it, then what's wrong with a pill to suppliment what you're not getting, or blocking, in your diet? Of course if a pill is that distasteful to you ... there is always the old weekly trip to the Dr. for a B-12 shot.

Thanks for the site.

I am thinking it's a B12 deficiency anyway..I had gastric bypass surgery a few years ago which can lead to the B12 issue.

I'll take in iron pill if needed...at this point, I'll do what ever it takes to feel better!

Angie, about 20 years ago, my doctor told me I was anemic. My choice was to either take the Slow FE every day (and deal with the after effects) or eat red meat and potatoes as often as I could.
I figured I'd go the "healthy" way and took the pills. After 2 months I switched, and became truly healthy and much, much happier. To this day, I haven't had to go back to the pills.

Here's a good read on the iron content in potatoes:
http://www.mvproduce.com/spudfacts.html

What about smothering some of the good ingredients within a dish, like mixing up shredded spinach in a chicken lasagne as an example or in a soup. I just spent three hours on Thursday having an iron infusion in hospital, and while I don't suffer any ill effects from the iron, my hand is still bruised from the needle and I can think of lots of better ways to spend my day!!! (Although, I must confess, the midday nap was rather nice!! LOL)

Angie,
I am sure you already checked many websites, I am adding one link just in case.
Iron Rich Foods Can Fortify Your Blood - BloodBook, Blood Information for Life
While is very important to control your iron intake, it is also important to be aware of foods that may inhibit iron absortion. One of the most significant is TEA, avoid drinking tea with your meals since it contains tannin that will reduce your iron intake capability.

Hi, Angie. Here's one more site for good info: WHFoods: iron

In addition to avoiding foods that inhibit iron absorption, try to eat foods that enhance absorption. Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron; in fact, my GI doctor's nurse told me that it's practically a waste of time to take an iron supplement without a Vitamin C supplement.

Shrimp is a good source of iron, but the site I cited above doesn't mention clams or mussels as important sources of iron. HTH.

Trail mix. My sister is anemic and swears by her trail mix to boost her iron. Doesn't hurt in reducing the bad cholesterol either.

Hint from my children's pediatrician to quickly ascertain if you have anemia---press your fingernail and release it----it should immediately go from white (when you press it) to pink when you release it. If it doesn't immediately become pink you might be anemic----also if you're bruising with no good reason anywhere above the abdomen that could be another indicator....definitely get yourself checked out with the doctor and don't put it off

Thanks everyone. I'm seeing the Dr on the 18th. I take a multivitamin daily and I just got iron pills today. I also take b12 daily...and looks like I need to get vitamin C as well.

Dark green vegetables, such as spinach, swiss charred, kale, etc., and lean red meat.

Well, Angie, do check in with us and let us know what you find out--most blood test results will take at least 3-5 working days----I'm waiting on hearing about a CA125 blood test for ovarian cancer and it's not much fun waiting around. I know nothing about my mother's side of the family genetics-wise so I'm chewing my nails.......

So sorry to hear about your situation Expatgirl. Do let us know how it goes. Genetic tests do take a while and can take a couple of weeks depending on what they are testing for. Thinking of you.

Iron levels should be available same day though.

I hate to tell you this, but one side effect of taking your iron in pill form can be ... constipation. And it can be painful. Make sure to drink lots of fluids and eat those vegetables you DO like, and lots of them.

I hate to tell you this, but one side effect of taking your iron in pill form can be ... constipation. And it can be painful. Make sure to drink lots of fluids and eat those vegetables you DO like, and lots of them.

Ahhh...yeah....I found that out so I'm supplimenting for that as well!:blush:

My father inlaw used to say if you just eat right you don't need nothing else.
Just work hard and if you need iron suck on nail while you work.

He had alot of sayings:

It colder out then my dead dogs a**

Hotter then a Witche's T*T .

Its as fresh as a June Bride.

I could go on but --he was a rough OLe Polack.

There are different preparation of iron you can try if you have problems with the first one you try. Ferrous sulfate is the most common one out there, but it gives me cramps, so I take ferrous gluconate. HTH.

Back
Top Bottom