Jelly Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Duck Puddle Farm

Assistant Cook
Hello -
I am new to this forum, and I was wondering if anyone else has encountered my problem. Often when I make jelly, it reaches set point nicely, but when I put it through the water bath process to seal the jars, it seems to "un-set". I usually have a bit left over that I put in a container and put straight into the refrigerator, and this sets nicely, but the jelly in the jars that has been through the heat seal process goes back to being liquid. What am I doing wrong???

Well, I don't do any canning myself, but I have a theory.

Does your jelly, after it cools down from the heat sealing process, set up again?

I'm thinking that the heat sealing process causes the pectin to melt.

I think your problem is the water bath process itself! Cook your jelly, place it in clean, sterile jars. Apply the lids and rings and leave it alone. As it cools you will "hear" it seal. The lid will "ping"! Read the instructions that come with your Shur-Jel (pectin) product for other tips! Also, you can read this link site for great information.

National Center for Home Food Preservation

Enjoy!

Thanks Uncle Bob - you are probably right about the water bath process, but because I sell my jellies at local farmers' markets, and we have very strict food safety laws in my part of Australia, I have to heat seal the jars. The puzzling thing is this doesn't always happen, and it doesn't seem to have any pattern with regards to type of fruit, quantity made etc. It is very frustrating!

google "runny jelly" there are ways to fix it. I just read one that said the reason its runny is that the boiling time (cooking the jelly) wasn't accurate.
I would read from more than one source on how to fix it. :) good luck!

Back
Top Bottom