Use beef consomme for gravy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suziquzie

Chef Extraordinaire
I found a can of beef consomme in the cabinet instead of broth.... I have no broth. Can I use it in the bottom of my roasting pan the same as broth to make gravy liquid? It has gelatin added, will that be wierd?

It will work. No problem with the gelatin. Real bee stock, made with bones, wouold have gelatin in it.

I like my gravy thick so for me it would be great. If you like a thin gravy then it might not work for you. If you like it thick like I like it then go for it.

Suzi;
Should be just fine. Consomme is nothing more than a clarified beef broth. Gelatin is PROBABLY added to give it the same unctuousness (I have ALWAYS wanted to use that word in a sentence!) that a homemade version would have. Remember, homemade broth is usually made from homemade stock (as well as beef) and thus would have a high gelatin content.

Thanks guys, so fast!
I do like a thicker gravy also, that will work just fine. If it's too thick I can just water it down a touch, it will have plenty of flavor from catching all the dripping yummies!
The can says use by Nov '07..... still ok right? It's only a month. I don't remember cans ever having dates on them when I started cooking. They must just be there to be PC.

I would not worry about that date. Give it a sniff first and if it passed the sniff test then taste a little bit. If it passes that test as well then you are good to go.

passed the sniff and taste.
Gravy good, thank you everyone!
Roast Beef, I attempted to eat med rare. I just can't do it anymore. I ate raw hamburger as a kid!!!
BARF!!!!

When I make my beef stock, oh yeah that reminds me I have to do one soon, when it cools it is jelly. And that is how it is supposed to be.

LOL funny you should mention that right now, I am eating the last of the potatoes and gravy!
It was supposed to be med rare but I think my thermometer is off....
I think I can still hear the thing mooing. I don't know what to do with the leftovers now.

Oh that does help thank you!
I was going to make shepherd's pie but I ate the mashed potatoes.:pig:
I only ever make stroganoff with hamburger, I never want to waste a hunk of good beef by covering it up with stuff!

OOh, I disagree, good Strogonoff if done right, with nice noodles + sour cream based sauce is supper yoummy.

P.S. leftover meat use: Do you have meat grinder, if not you should get one for sure. Make some elbow macaroni, put the cooked meat thru the meat grinder, mix together, youm. Kids love it.

My Mom and what I do now is shred up leftover roast and mix in some bbq sauce and have chopped bbq sandwiches..I like cole slaw on mine :)

No I don't, real Strogonoff use sour cream and I can't mix milk and meat, sorry. I know there are tons of recipes on the Internet. Look for one that includes mushrooms and real meat not ground.

That was my fault, I knew that you could't mix 'em but I didn't think of it til I hit the post button! Duh! I'll blame it on screaming children.
I've found a couple but they use sherry, but I'm out and I really don't want to take these 2 to the store again today! I think I'll just use the same sauce recipe I use for my hamburger, it'll be just fine.

Or my other thought is a beef / potato fritata of some kind, I have alot of eggs.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom