Dogs in purses: does it annoy you too?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Do dogs in purses bother you?

• Total voters

jkath

Hospitality Queen
I have a problem with women who find it necessary to bring their dog along on their shopping extravaganzas. Just this week I have encountered 9 of the pampered pooches riding along in handbags.

I have come to a few of my own conclusions:

1. The dog is not potty trained and the owner doesn't want to take the time to train it properly.
2. The owner is looking for attention.
3. The owner believes she will be mistaken for a celebrity.
4. The owner is too old to carry a Barbie doll, so who else would wear a rhinestone tiara with a pink furry coat but the little dog?
5. The owner believes that those signs on the doors of stores saying "no dogs, with exception to seeing-eye dogs" really doesn't apply to them.

I was even shopping at a Brighton store and a woman had a rabbit in her purse. What? Was the pet store out of little dogs?

I was at Nordstrom's cafe, and a teenaged girl had a dog in her bag. I asked her if she could please take her dog outdoors, as it was a health code violation. She snapped at me, said a few choice four letter words, and closed her eyes. (if I can't see you, you're not there)
The manager then threw her out, along with the little dog. (thank goodness!)

Why oh why are people doing this?

It's the big dogs that people think they can walk around HOME DEPOT
and other stores that bother me. I like dogs... I just don't like having to get out
of their way.

In a word.......YES! However I don't see a lot of that here. On a recent flight from Huntington W. Va. to Atlanta there was a person with a dog in a bag...On the plane!!!
How did that get by??? The flight attendant freaked, but stayed cool. At 10,000 feet and climbing whatch gonna do!!!

Please - I'm a dog lover (have 3 large & 1 small "hounds from ****"), but can't even get used to people bringing their dogs into PetCo &/or PetSmart where they're allowed. I mean really - why the heck would you want to bring your dog into a place where you have no idea whether or not other dogs have been vaccinated, have fleas, are sick, yadayadayada. Not to mention all the kids going "can I pet your dog". My dogs have absolutely no desire for that sort of brouhaha.

I was at Nordstrom's cafe, and a teenaged girl had a dog in her bag. I asked her if she could please take her dog outdoors, as it was a health code violation. She snapped at me, said a few choice four letter words, and closed her eyes. (if I can't see you, you're not there)
The manager then threw her out, along with the little dog. (thank goodness!)
I strongly suspect that had her name been Paris or Brittney you would have been the one tossed!

I've never seen anyone around here carry a dog in a purse, but most of the people around here have hunting dogs or pit bulls.

Please - I'm a dog lover (have 3 large & 1 small "hounds from ****"), but can't even get used to people bringing their dogs into PetCo &/or PetSmart where they're allowed. I mean really - why the heck would you want to bring your dog into a place where you have no idea whether or not other dogs have been vaccinated, have fleas, are sick, yadayadayada. Not to mention all the kids going "can I pet your dog". My dogs have absolutely no desire for that sort of brouhaha.
We have brought our dog into PetSmart, but mostly because that is where his obedience training was held. Dogs do have to be vaccinated to be in the classes there. There are other services there, including grooming and a vet. The vet in the store kind of bothers me because, unless there is a way to bring them in through the back, that means sick dogs are going through. I have noticed though that if a dog has an "accident," an employee is right there cleaning it up and disinfecting the area. So all in all, as far as the dogs go, I don't think it is much different than bringing your dog to a park where other dogs are playing. People can be another matter, but in all the times I have been in PetSmart I have never seen a problem occur. I'm not saying that hasn't happened, but I have never seen it.

That said, our dog loves to go for rides in the car with us, but we would never think of bringing him into any store other than PetSmart.

:)Barbara

Last edited:
My dogs would eat my purse!! LOL
My dog did eat my purse! Okay, he didn't have time to eat it (I think he would have though), but he did chew through the straps. Luckily he is over the big chewing stage. He still likes to chew, but he mostly sticks to his chew toys and two-liter bottles.

:)If you go to Germany dogs are allowed every where, even the trains the stores and restaurants. I like it as as long as dog is well behaved why should it matter? Even in New Mexico in the smaller towns dogs are getting in the restaurants and bars. So what? Dogs are great and should be every place we are as long as they behave. I have traveled alot and there are many places that are pet friendly especially hotels and motels. I bring my dog when I travel and I feel so much safer when she is with me she warns me if someone is by my door but if I tell her to shut up and that its OK, she shuts up.
I would love to have a tiny dog that you can bring on board a plane and not in a crate in cargo freezing etc.As far as Im concerned dogs are better than most people.
So thats my story and Im sticking to it.

The cutest dog that I ever saw was carried by a little old lady in some purse/box/like carrier. It was a little Yorkie and extremely well behaved--did not bark and appreciated with great aplomb all references to how cute it was as did Gramma.......adorable and no one even knew that Fidolito was on board................it was a transatlantic flight and in my many sojourns to the restrooms the pooch was a darling and bothered noone.........I would love to own one of her offspring.......

Dogs are great and should be every place we are as long as they behave. I have traveled alot and there are many places that are pet friendly especially hotels and motels. I bring my dog when I travel and I feel so much safer when she is with me she warns me if someone is by my door but if I tell her to shut up and that its OK, she shuts up.
I would love to have a tiny dog that you can bring on board a plane and not in a crate in cargo freezing etc.As far as Im concerned dogs are better than most people.
I would bet that the main reason we have to have laws keeping dogs out of many public places is not because of the dogs so much, but because of unreasonable people. Some people wouldn't care that their dog had just eaten the chihuahua belonging to the person behind them, and some might think it is cute when their dog is, let's say "entertaining himself" on the leg of the person sitting in the restaurant booth across from them. Also if dogs (not counting service dogs of course) were allowed in all public places here, I know someone would come along and say, "Well if they can have their dogs, I can bring my pot-bellied pig," and someone else would want to bring his or her horse. People are funny that way. :rolleyes: I know some dogs (and pigs and horses) I would rather see in a store or restaurant than some kids I have seen acting like monsters out in public!

We have three chihuahuas at home. One of them is a "tea-cup". She probably weighs in right around 3 lbs, if that. She easily fits in the palm of my hand.

Luckily, PeppA doesn't want to take any of them around with her in a purse. Although, sometimes the oldest one does get to go on a trip in the car, but she stays in the car.

:)If you go to Germany dogs are allowed every where, even the trains the stores and restaurants. I like it as as long as dog is well behaved why should it matter? Even in New Mexico in the smaller towns dogs are getting in the restaurants and bars. So what? Dogs are great and should be every place we are as long as they behave. I have traveled alot and there are many places that are pet friendly especially hotels and motels. I bring my dog when I travel and I feel so much safer when she is with me she warns me if someone is by my door but if I tell her to shut up and that its OK, she shuts up.
So thats my story and Im sticking to it.
It was the same way in France when I was there. Every restaurant and even the big grocery stores had people with their dogs there. I didn't see any dogs misbehaving or relieving themselves indoors. I don't know - it just doesn't bother me. My dog loves to travel with me but I don't take her indoors anywhere because I'm not sure she would remain calm and well behaved - she gets excited when she sees other dogs and wants to play with them. But if I knew she'd behave, I would probably take her in places where dogs are welcome. Not in a bag though - she's 80 lbs.

:)DH will take the dogs all day in the back of truck in the summer the winter not so much but he will take them for at least 30-40 minutes for a garbage run. I say dogs dont care if its 20 minutes or all daythey just love a ride.

Cubbie likes riding in the car so much that if he gets out and is running with his doggie buddies, I open the car door and he usually comes running. If he is too involved with his pals I open the car door and start the car. That always works! James always asks why Cubbie likes riding in the car so much because he usually just lies down and sleeps for quite a bit of the ride. LOL He is one of the best car riding dogs I have ever seen. We don't take him with us if we are both going into a store or to a restaurant though, since we are afraid of what we might find when we get back. He goes nuts if even one of us gets out of the car. If he is with us and we want to eat out, we go to a drive-through. He usually gets something to nibble when we go there, so he likes that (I know, I know, but he just gets junk once in a while). When we go through the bank's drive-through he thinks we are at a fast-food place. I guess they are used to that though. If the teller sees Cubbie she always gives him a couple dog biscuits!

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with it as long as the dog is well cared for.

My 2 labs go just about everywhere with me that they are allowed.
They are also exceptionally well behaved when I tell them to be.
I AM Packdaddy.

Unfortunately, many people don't have the oomph to take the time
to train their dogs, so they have hounds that pull them around, run off
when the door opens, beg for food and generally act like dogs, LOL!

My white lab/retriever loves to go to PetSmart. Since they are vaccinated and
flea protected I am not worried.
She will sit in front of the bird cages without moving, except to whine every now and
then. Dog TV, LOL!

My little Dove is so quiet and loves to ride in a bicycle basket attached to the front of my handicapped scooter. She just fits..if she gains anymore weight I'll pull her behind me in a wheel barrow!! LOL She is over 8 pounds and that is fat for a Chihuahua.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom