Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions! (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   From someone who likes to dabble in the kitchen... (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f6/from-someone-who-likes-to-dabble-in-the-kitchen-41892.html)

cheriturn 01-10-2008 05:11 PM

From someone who likes to dabble in the kitchen...

Hello everyone! I found this site while doing a search on Flavorwave vs Nuwave ovens! (I have a Flavorwave and just saw an infomercial for the NuWave and was curious if there was a difference.) I am a kitchen gadget junkie, I guess you could say. My stepdaughter flipped out when she saw me use a special v-shaped tool to cut the top off a watermelon - to use it as a boat for fruit salad!

I love to cook, but I'm a lazy chef. If it has too many ingredients, or takes hours and hours, forget it! I also get frustrated because I live in a small rural town (in the midwest) and many ingredients for recipes I see on TV (like Rachel Ray's show) are just not available around here - grrrrr! This forum looks like a lot of fun - I've been exploring the small appliances area and see a LOT of interesting threads. I look forward to participating here!

Barb L. 01-10-2008 05:27 PM

Welcome to DC Cheriturn, this is a great forum, enjoy and nice to have you join us ! BarbL.

auntdot 01-10-2008 06:29 PM

Welcome to DC Cheri.

I am a recovering kitchen gizmo-aholic. Finally learned that there are a limited number of tools that I need to cook.

And I can sit through most infomercials and only have to suppress myself a bit to keep from dialing the 800 number.

Last purchase: the shark knife sharpener. Now I have a great knife sharpening systen, different hones and a gadget that lets me set the angles. This is not a gizmo, it is a real knife sharpening tool.

Purchased this only because we were going to a rental apartment that had a kitchen and all the utensils supplied. Knew the knives would be dull and ya can't take a chef's knife on the plane. They frown on that. So I called the 800 number for the shark, hoping it would work a bit to sharpen the cutlery.

OK, ya gotta be a bit of a nut to carry your own knife sharpener.

Unfortunately the thing was delivered after we left. Phooey.

Well, maybe next time.

pacanis 01-10-2008 06:34 PM

Howdy cheriturn. Not much available in my dinky town either, or the next closest "city", but I wouldn't know what to do with it anyway :lol:

Welcome.

David Cottrell 01-10-2008 07:01 PM

Hello cheriturn and welcome! I live in Marion, Ohio, just sort of a whole bunch of people to be a city thank goodness. But when I'm trying a recipe from elsewhere I can get irritated in the grocery stores. Oh well :)

Bilby 01-11-2008 03:46 AM

I think everyone gets frustrated in grocery stores for one reason or another!!! LOL

Welcome to DC from another lazy chef!!

ericajones80 01-11-2008 10:12 AM

i sympathize with your frustration cheriturn...it is a bit of a drive to the closest "big" grocery store for me

itzalgud 01-11-2008 10:40 AM

Welcome cheriturn:
I, too, am a new member and I have a warning for you.
Do everything you have to do for the day before you log on.
Otherwise, you will spend all day on DC
I can't seem to get anything done because I have to read just one more post.
Oh, well, those other things can wait.
Gotta go. I may be missing a new post.

sattie 01-11-2008 11:38 AM

Hey there! Welcome to DC!

cheriturn 01-11-2008 06:21 PM

Thank you for all your kind welcomes! Glad to hear I'm not the only one that gets frustrated in the grocery store! :lol: I'll have to remember to get everything done before I log on here. Happy cooking!