Bread Rising in S. California

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeydog00

Assistant Cook
I moved to Southern California from Upstate New York. When I lived in New York, I never had a problem with bread rising. However, in California, I cannot get reliable results with the rising process.

I use bread flour because someone told me that regular flour sold here in California contains chemicals that kill yeast. I have used rapid rise yeast; that doesn't always work. I have even used mixes in my bread machine and they don't always rise. I have carefully measured the temperature of the milk or water so that it doesn't exceed 104 degrees, and that doesn't always work.

I just can't figure it out. Can anyone help me with suggestions?:chef:

where in california do you live. we are not flat here so it might be your elevation. I live
south of fresno which about 230 feet elevation. and have you checked the dates on
your yeast.

Do you order your flour, or by the bread flour locally? You might want to try ordering some King Arthur products to see if that makes a difference?

All the flour sold in California comes from the same mills that all the flour in New York comes from. There is nothing in California purchased all purpose flour that will kill your yeast. If you want to use bread flour, do so because the extra gluten makes better bread.

Make sure your yeast isn't expired, make sure you're not killing it with water that's too hot, and make sure you are putting the dough in a draftless location to rise. The oven, turned OFF, is an excellent place to let bread rise.

Oh, and you can buy King Arthur flour in Ralph's, Albertson's, Von's/Safeway, and even at Smart & Final. You don't have to mail order it.

Back
Top Bottom