Ahi Tuna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hayden Price

Assistant Cook
I am thinking of making a sauce to go over Seared Ahi with the following

Lime Juice
Honey
Cilantro
Ginger
Green Onion

but I would like to thicken it up some so it will cling to the meat. Should I use a light cream sauce or just add some corn starch and salt and pepper to taste?

Wow, Hawaii - you guys should know.
What about sauteing the ginger in some sesame oil but if that would be too overpowering a taste maybe us some butter or canola oil to move the flavors a bit, then add the lime, garlic, cilantro, honey and water I guess to make some volume so that when I add the cornstarch to thicken I will have enough for 4 servings.

Hayden;
If you are using toasted (dark ) sesame oil. DO NOT use it for the sauteeing. It is used for flavoring and should only be added at the end of the process. Go the canola route, instead.

Will do. Thanks for the help. I will use the canola then. I did use the sesame when on some Shrimp Pad Thai I made last week and it went well. Sorry to hear you lost June Jones to SMU, he was a special asset to UH football and will be difficult to replace.

The ingredients you listed have the makings of a vinegarette. Add some chile for heat, a little soy for flavor, a touch of sesame oil, and whisk together with canola to emulsify. That will thicken your sauce. Sear your ahi to rare then use the sauce for dipping. You don't have to cook the sauce. With the ginger, if you have a microplane or similar type small grater, use that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom