Le Creuset oven temp question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WorseCookHere

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I wanted to try making the No-knead bread recipe listed all over the place. The recipe calls for a Dutch oven to be placed in an oven and pre-heated to 500, and then dropped down to 425. I saw mention that this temp might be too high for the Le Creuset Dutch Oven, and their website says oven safe to 375.

I have a new Le Cruset Dutch oven and would hate to ruin it. So could someone give me advice if it is safe to place the Le Creuset in an oven at those temps?

Thanks

Actually, I think the part of Le Creuset cookware that is risky in a high temp oven is the knob on top.

This is exactly correct. I used my LC Dutch Oven the first time I made NYT no-knead bread. The knob literally exploded, breaking in two. Oven was preheated to 450". I now use a Lodge DO for this recipe.

I have used my LC for making the no knead bread countless times and always at 500 degrees. So far I have not had a problem. I thought mine said it was safe to 450 though, not 375.

Enameled cast iron, of any make, should certainly handle an oven temp of 500ºF - but the knobs are a different matter, especially if they are not metal.

When in doubt - read and follow the instructions that came with your cookware.

I usually just heat to 450 and skip the 500 part.

I've made bread that way in my LC french oven at least 50 times at this point with no problem with the knob either.

The salesperson at the LC store did confirm that they had a problem with people stealing knobs, and the honest ones trying to buy them, when the bread recipe first came out.

According to Le Creuset's website (under FAQ) the knobs are only guaranteed to a temp of 375F. Instinctively, I apply my own 350F rule and remove the knobs when I'm going to use the pans above that temp. I seal the hole with foil.

Thanks for the tip! I'll call the store that's closest to me for more info.

Mission Accomplished! I called a store near to me. They had spare knobs in supply for $8 + tax. Picked it up earlier today.

This particular store was designated as Signature, not Outlet. Perhaps that has something to do with whether or not they carry the knobs.

Pete K.

This is exactly correct. I used my LC Dutch Oven the first time I made NYT no-knead bread. The knob literally exploded, breaking in two. Oven was preheated to 450". I now use a Lodge DO for this recipe.

I covered the knob with foil on my Lodge DO . I wasn't sure it was safe at 500 but next time I am going to use 450.

I bake that recipe in my Descoware DO and the lid actually is all cast iron including the handle. The problem I found is that that particular lid for some reason changes colour and just generally made me uncomfortable to cook with. My solution was to use on of my stainless steel lids for the oven. It fits the DO perfectly and the handle is SS. So if you have another lid from another pot that you think might fit, it might be less trouble than removing the plastic handle from the lid of your DO.

I covered the knob with foil on my Lodge DO . I wasn't sure it was safe at 500 but next time I am going to use 450.

"but I'm concerned that the grip on the lid is only rated for 350 F, and I made the bread at 450 F. If it has a melt down, I'll ask my brother to make a grip out of some brass bar stock on his lathe and try that."

Joe

hello, this is my first post and was curious as to how the brass worked out. was thinking about going out and buying brass knobs for kitchen cabinets to see how that works. i have a Le Creuset that i got second-hand from a thrift store for only $6! it has the phenolic knob which i believe are also rated for 350-400F. and has anybody who has Creuset covered their knob with foil? is that the same knob as the Lodge's?

thank you

Back
Top Bottom