Are Americans worried by genetically modified foods?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
The French government just suspended authorization to grow genetically modified corn (Mosanto).

This is a real political hot potato.

Much of the discussion is not actually based on scientific facts, but fear.

The French people are opposed to "Frankenfood" and domination by an American multinational.

Putting aside the political context, and concentrating on the health issue alone, do Americans by and large accept genetically modified food without any problem?

Best regards,
Alex R.

The French government just suspended authorization to grow genetically modified corn (Mosanto).

This is a real political hot potato.

Much of the discussion is not actually based on scientific facts, but fear.

The French people are opposed to "Frankenfood" and domination by an American multinational.

Putting aside the political context, and concentrating on the health issue alone, do Americans by and large accept genetically modified food without any problem?

Best regards,
Alex R.

:mad: I have a problem with it but we Americans have no way of knowing if it is GMO as they dont tell us. We can get products that tell you that they are non GMO. I guess we would hafto do some research on who grow GMOs I believe the company Con Agra grows GMOs not positive though.

We have all been eating genetically modified foods for hundreds of years. The produce, meats and poultry we eat today are not nearly the same as what our ancesters ate.

Say thank you to Luther Burbank.

Andy I am not particularly worried about GM foods but there is a difference between hybridization ala Luther Burbank and genetic engineering. In hybridization there is mixing of the genome but if we are dealing with corn hybridizing the result is still a corn.

One method of genetic engineering is to insert a gene into a, oh corn, that comes from an entirely different organism. May be a very different organism. Then that gene directs the production of a protein (which is all genes do - everything elso our body makes is directed by those proteins) that is not usually made in a corn. The worry is that the resulting protein may result in unforseen consequences when ingested and once in the environment may be difficult or impossible to get rid of.

There are examples of GM products that have been tried and research stopped due to such unanticipated consequences.

GM foods have the promise of feeding the vast millions in areas many foods will not grow, improving the taste and nutrition of the foods we eat. Wonderful aims.

But it has only been 55 years siince Watson and Crick figured out the double helix of DNA. And although we have learned a lot very rapidly since then, genetic manipulation is still in its infancy.

Although I am more on the side of go for it, I fully understand those who are hesitant.

I accept it. If anything I feel highly evolved. I would prefer that the animals are not hopped up on chemicals, but when in Rome...

My wife is about 6 months away from her Phd in botanical genetic engineering. She is
not involved in the "frankenfood" area of genetics at all, but is VERY interested in it.
Therefore, she is pretty savvy and knowledgeable in the field.

She isn't worried about it, therefore I am not either.

Knowledge is key.

My wife is about 6 months away from her Phd in botanical genetic engineering. She is
not involved in the "frankenfood" area of genetics at all, but is VERY interested in it.
Therefore, she is pretty savvy and knowledgeable in the field.

She isn't worried about it, therefore I am not either.

Knowledge is key.

Invite her to join us and share any expertise.

I think, at the very least, any GM food that is sold should have a label so those opposed can avoid it. If people don't want it, they don't have to buy it. In this way, the market will decide if it is something that is accepted or rejected by consumers.

I think, at the very least, any GM food that is sold should have a label so those opposed can avoid it. If people don't want it, they don't have to buy it. In this way, the market will decide if it is something that is accepted or rejected by consumers.

My objections with GM foods is not with eating them. I have not given one thought to eating the stuff. My concerns lay with the environment. What are/will these crops do to the air, water, soil, birds, worms, microbes, neighbors, etc.

I do not think it is realistic to think people will reject/avoid buying GM products based on the environmental issues. Have you even known anyone who purchases beef or eggs at a grocery store? Do they take into account the conditions of feed lot finished beef or the life of cage layer chickens? I would say the vast majority of food purchasers do not.

Here is a quote from an organic food source:

"Organic farmers continue to report problems with "genetic trespass" from genetically modified crops. Some say the problem is getting worse, but no one knows how bad it is. Research is needed to determine the extent of the problem and to alert stakeholders.

In the Midwest, where millions of acres of GM corn and soybeans are grown, the impacts were much greater with up to 80% of organic farmers reporting direct costs or damages. "If this trend continues, what we're seeing now will prove tobe just the tip of the iceberg," said Bob Scowcroft, OFRF executive director"

Here is a link to some scientific research regarding the organic movements concerns.
Links to Recent Outstanding Research on the Hazards of Genetically Engineered Foods

Grillingfool I would also like to hear what your wife has to say on the matter. This subject is way over my pay grade, so I would be interested in any comments she can add. Right now I am following the $$$$ Money. There seems to be two distinct $$$$ paths to explore.

People used to be afraid of vitamin enriched flour, too.

If corn can be engineered to resist corn worms without being sprayed with chemicals, therefore feeding many more hungry people from the same acreage, is that not a good thing?
If rice can be bred to have more protein in it, making it more nutritious for the millions who depend on it for the mainstay of their diets, is that not a good thing, too?
In my opinion, the answer is yes.

Here is an informative article about genetic engineering.

Agriculture

;) While we are at it let me open another can of worms.
Final U.S. decision expected on food from clones - Yahoo! News

thread drift/hijack

not a can of worms here. We've had this discussion before and the scientific concensus was that there are no problems eating cloned meat. But due to the extremely high costs of cloning animals, we will not be faced with that option any time soon.

Now, may we please hear from the few folks who actually seem to know what they are talking about regarding GM foods?:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom