Need thoughts and prayers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
In my little neighborhood, when I was growing up, there were several of us who became family. In order: Bob, Mike, Gina, Katie E, and Jeff. We did everything together. We lived and loved as we lost parents, etc. My daddy being the first to die of them all in 1973. We were brothers and sisters. We stuck together and held each other up and held each other's hands.

Tonight I'm in tears because Bob, the oldest of us, and not too old, is on his death bed in a nearby hospital. I've been crying most of tonight because I love him as a brother.

I just spoke with my younger brother, who lives about a half mile from me and is another of Bob's "brothers." My brother and I are planning to go to the hospital tomorrow to say our good-byes to Bob. I don't know how I will do it. He's a piece of our "core" that is going away because he's the oldest of all of us.

It's going to be difficult because Mike, Gina and I are almost, to the day, the same age.

Emotionally, I don't want to do it, but because I love him, I know I have to.

Thanks for all your support. You've helped me before and I know you will help me now.

Katie, I'm so sorry to hear this. Friends are the family we weren't lucky enough to born with. I'm glad your little brother is going with you to the hospital so you two can lean on each other.

Can you share something about this man who has meant so much to you? He sounds like a wonderful man. In the mean time, I'll be thinking of all of you and praying for Bob.

Terry

I'm so sorry to hear this Katie. I will be praying for Bob, and for the rest of you that everything will not be too hard on any of you.

Barbara

Katie, it will be hard to go tomorrow. But, you will be with someone you love and helping someone else you love and who loves you..By going to him, you will help him on his journey..You will show him you love him and this will make it easier for him. This way he will not be alone, you will be at his side and making it smoother for him,. One day you will be able to look back and smile that you and he made the trip part way together. You both have prayer and thoughts of peace and comfort.
kadesma

Kadesma, you said exactly what I would have said, if I hadn't taken a Melatonin awhile ago and weren't about to fall out of my chair, asleep. Well said.

We will all be with you in spirit tomorrow Katie.

Barbara

Of course we'll be thinking of you, your brother and your dear Bob. It is a wonderful gift to have a friend who means the world to you.

So sorry to read this thread Katie. I don't know how to do what you are about to do. I guess I have always assumed we find it within ourselves when the moment comes. I become a wreck on each of "those" visits to the vet. Can't imagine how hard it will be with a person. You have my thoughts and support.

Katie, My heart goes out to you and your family. Stay strong and know that all our love, hugs and prayers are with you today and always. I know it's not easy to get through, but you have your family there and your family here at DC. We love you. Love, Faith and Lots of Hugs for you to share. Dawn

My prayers are with you.

It is a difficult time. One thing I've learned to do is to listen to your friend. If conversation becomes awkward, ask "Is there anything I can do for you?" or "Is there anything I can say for you?"

Or merely hold his hand. You will be blessed for it.

Last edited:
{{{{Aww Katie, I'm so sorry!!}}}}}
When you get to see him, just hug him, hold his hand and talk about things you used to do together. Try not to think in the moment, get him remembering the good times you all had together. Be teasing, funny, make him laugh. Make it like any other day for him. When you say goodbye, tell him how much he has meant to you and that you love him. He will go knowing that he made a difference to someone and that will be comforting to him. Hugs to you and your {{{family}}}

I am saddened by what you are going through. This is one of the sad parts of getting older. People you have known all your life are now dieing.

Bob will be happy to relive some happy times with you when you see him. Let him know you love him.

Our thoughts are with you and your brother.

oh Katie, how terribly sad this is. I hope you are able to share a few laughs and memories with your friend Bob. My thoughts are with you today.

Oh Katie, I'm so sorry. I will be sending prayers and strength to you. He will cherish your visit just as you do.

Katie, there are just no words to help here. I'm so sorry my friend. Biggest hug in the world coming your way.

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. Just try to focus on all the good memories you have shared, and cherish the final ones. My thoughts are with you on this difficult day.

Katie; I too echo all the caring words which have been said.
When you go with your brother to see Bob, and are sharing love, laughter and tears together, try, even though your heart is so sad, to convey to him that you freely let him go. It is a really important thing to do when someone is drawing close to the end of their life here and is on the thresh hold of another. Cherish those memories of the special love you all shared. What a very special gift that was and it will not be ended with his passing.

Dear Katie E:

It's so hard to say goodbye. I'll be thinking of you all week. I've had some heart-wrenching experiences of a similar kind.

Try to remember that love never dies. and you'll see.... even tho your dear friend may leave the earth, he will never be very far from you.

Love,
June

Back
Top Bottom