Spaghetti Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lazyk

Assistant Cook
I don't like a lot of spices in spaghetti AND I don't always want to make my own...does anyone have a suggestion how I might "doctor" up a jar of sauce so that the oreganio and basil isn't so strong? :ohmy:

Maybe just add a little plain tomato sauce to it?
Can't help much, I like seasonings.

Jarred sauce is usually pretty plain. Why do you want to "doctor it up?"

You could add mushrooms and/or ground beef or vegetables.

Why don't you just use a can of crushed tomatoes and then you can add what you do want rather than trying to remove the taste of something that has been added to a jarred sauce?

Add to a can of crushed tomatoes a pinch of onion and garlic powder, a hint of whatever green herbs you like (oregano and basil) and just a bit of sugar. Not a lot of work for something that will likely suit you to a tee.

I doctor up jar sauce all the time. They're all pretty plain for my taste, but Ragu traditional is really plain IMO and still a name brand if that's what you like getting.
Have you tried thickening a can of tomato soup instead? :LOL:

I am with Alix. That is what I do in a pinch. Not a fan of any jarred sauces so I just make a quickie of my own.

Buy a can of tomato, not spaghetti, sauce, such as Hunt's, Progresso, or Contadina. Make sure it is tomato SAUCE, as sauce is cooked, where crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, or tomato puree are not. Then add, let's say, some sauted chopped onion, and salt and pepper to taste. You might also want to simmer your meatballs and/or sausage in the sauce for 30 minutes to an hour to add a bit of meaty flavor. My father has very bland tastes, so onion, salt and pepper are all my mother adds to her sauce in the way of seasonings.

Thanks for the posts...I'll try your method of adding the spaghetti sauce to tomato sauce rather than the other way around. The leading spaghetti sauces have too much oregano is much too heavy...

I agree with Alix. It is so easy to saute onions and garlic, add a tiny bit of crushed red peppers(or not), then add a can of tomatoes, some seasoning, maybe a pinch of sugar, and cook for a little while. What you end up with is a much tastier product which is truly all yours.

Why don't you just use a can of crushed tomatoes and then you can add what you do want rather than trying to remove the taste of something that has been added to a jarred sauce?

Add to a can of crushed tomatoes a pinch of onion and garlic powder, a hint of whatever green herbs you like (oregano and basil) and just a bit of sugar. Not a lot of work for something that will likely suit you to a tee.

ta daa! My thoughts exactly

Thanks for the posts...I'll try your method of adding the spaghetti sauce to tomato sauce rather than the other way around. The leading spaghetti sauces have too much oregano is much too heavy...

Lazyk, I think you may have misread the posts. At least in mine, I suggest you use tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes INSTEAD of jarred spaghetti sauce. Its the same amount of effort to open the can and then you can just "personalize" it the way you like it.

Sorry for the confusion...I may try it both ways...add some tomato sauce to jarred spaghetti sauce AND just make some sauce from scratch...I just don't want it to end up being watery, if you know what I mean. I made "from scratch" a marinara sauce from Cooks Illustrated...it was a lot of work and it turned out to be a little too bland...guess there is no easy answer for me...thanks again...

Sorry for the confusion...I may try it both ways...add some tomato sauce to jarred spaghetti sauce AND just make some sauce from scratch...

If by "scratch" you mean starting with raw tomatoes and going from there, I've tried that, too, and also ended up with watery sauce. I really like Rachael Ray's marinara sauce and it's really easy. You can season it as you like: Recipes : Meatball Subs : Food Network

I like to dice an onion and saute that with the garlic. HTH.

Your own spaghetti sauce

I find the jarred sauces are always 'off' - too bland OR heavy-handed re: oregano and basil. A bit of sugar added slowly while tasting, can mask these spices somewhat.

Best to make your sauce from scratch. I use best canned tomatoes, good Italian tomato paste from a tube and my special blend of spices OR sometimes herbes de Provence which have most of the Italian herbs but also contains lavander which some don't like. I always add a leaf or two of bay leaf from my carefully tended tree. You have to experiment. Actually, I'm making sauce right now and have added oven grilled eggplant and zucchini, cubed. Yum. :chef:

Why not try just using fresh ingredients? They can provide all the flavours without any need for herbs or spices.

Finely chop some onion (red onion for a sweeter taste) and crush a couple of cloves of garlic. Fry until soft (1-2 mins). Chop finely a large green bell pepper. Add to pan and fry for 1-2 mins. Don't use tinned tomatoes, get the equivalent amount of on-the-vine tomatoes, lightly score the skin and pour boiliing water on them - the skins will fall off. Add to the mix and season with salt and black pepper. Add in aprox. 100g of finely chopped mushrooms and fry for a further 1 min. Add in a stock cube and 2 tblsp of plain flour and mix in. Add in 150ml water and mix in well. Add some tomatoe puree and heat until thickens. Heat on low heat 10-15 mins.

This will produce a lovely sauce but without any spicey flavouring.

GotGarlic...no the scratch sauce I made from the CI recipe was not watery at all. I tried to post the recipe here but for some reason it wasn't accepted. At any rate...all have given me ideas to try...

Back
Top Bottom