Help! I'm missing a step to a recipe!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QSis

Washing Up
I should learn to the whole recipe before I dive in.

Anyway, I'm in the middle of making Garlic and Herb Crusted Pork Tenderloin. This recipe came in third at the Gilroy Garlic Festival one year, and is in one of my Cook-Off America cookbooks.

You roast a whole head of garlic, squeeze it into a bowl, and mash.

Meanwhile, you mix fresh bread crumbs, herbs and a couple cloves of fresh garlic in another bowl.

You salt/pepper the loin, dip in egg, then in crumb mixture, brown and then finish in the oven.

So, what do I do with the roasted garlic???? Should I apply it to the raw meat beforte the egg? Should I mix it with the bread crumb mixture? Should I just mix it with the drippings and a little milk for sauce?

Lee

i would just slather the loin w/ the garlic then use it to bind the crumbs to the tenderloin?

marmalady,

Sure, I'll post it. I've read it a hundred times, but maybe with fresh eyes .....

Thanks for your help, everyone!

Lee

Garlic & Herb Crust Pork Tenderloin

... Here the tenderloin has a delicious garlic crust created with fresh (soft) breadcrumbs, made by simply placing pieces of untoasted bread in a food processor and chopping to desired texture.

Roasted Garlic

1 large head garlic
1 T olive oil

Pork

2 cups fresh bread crumbs from crustless French bread
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 T fresh rosemary, minced
1/2 t. bay leaves, finely crumbled
1 pork tenderloin, about 3/4 pound
Salt and pepper
1 large egg, beaten
2 T butter
1 T olive oil

Preheat oven to 375

1. To roast garlic, peel papery skin from outside garlic head. Slice off top to expose cloves. Drizzle with olive oil. Wrap in foil and bake 45 mins.

2. When cool enough to handle, squeeze garlic into a small bowl and mash with a fork to form a smooth paste.

3. Meanwhile, combine bread crumbs and next 4 ingredients and mix well.

4. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper

5. Dip pork into egg, then into bread crumb mixture.

6. Melt butter and oil in a large ovenprood, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and brown all sides.

7. Place skillet in oven and roast pork until thermometer reaches 150-155 degrees, about 20 minutes (Lee's note: I will take it out at 140-145)

8. Transfer pork to cutting board and let it rest 5 minutes.

Dunno, but I'd have to think the roast garlic is in the bowl, mashed, when the breadcrumbs go in, sort of "layering" garlic flavour in this approach to a loin...

And yes, its both frustrating and disappointing when language like this confounds a good recipe...which is why I do the "type out the step by step", and let people read it through to get the right ingredients....

On the other hand, if you don'y used the roasted garlic and just go direct, I'm not dure this won't taste pretty darnned good, regardless...

Lifter

Hmmm... since there are 3 minced cloves already in the herb mixture to coat the loin, I'm thinking the roasted garlic spread is separate...and absolutely BEGGING to be spread over a cracker as an appetizer!

here's a quote from an article about the Garlic Festival...

"Last year's winning dish was Creamy Potato Gratin with Gorgonzola, Pears & Pecans by Camilla Saulsbury of Bloomington, Indiana. The second and third prizes were awarded respectively to Susan Runkle of Walton, Kentucky for her Crispy Garlic Salmon Cakes with Roasted Corn Salsa and to Jamie Miller of Maple Grove, Minnesota for her Garlic and Herb Crusted Pork Tenderloin with Creamy Garlic Gravy. Proceeds from the Gilroy Garlic Festival are distributed to non-profit organizations in the greater Gilroy community.

looks like you are supposed to make Creamy Garlic Gravy with your roasted garlic!

Good Luck!

wasabi woman,

Ohhhhhhhh! Damn!

Well good find and good call, Deadly Sushi! However, not having read your reply till just now, I had to make an executive decision, since dinner time is near. I went with Lifter's idea and sort of mashed the mashed roasted garlic in with the bread crumbs and herbs and patted that mixture on the loin before browning it. It's finishing in the oven.

Hey, how bad can it be with all that garlic? :)

Great forum, folks - thanks again for all the quick help!

Lee

Back
Top Bottom