Country-style ribs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mozart

Senior Cook
I was able to find bone in country style ribs for $.99/lb at our local grocery, so I bought a bunch.

I'd like to do some in the oven, and am wondering if low heat (225-250) until they reach 200 degrees or so works as well for country style ribs as it does for spare ribs.

Any guess at how much time I'm looking at for 3 or 4 lbs of ribs?

Thanks.

No idea on the time. They will cook fast if they are single ribs though. If you chop off the thick top section and chine bone, you'll have St Louis ribs.:chef:

I usually cook 4-5 country style ribs and I'm sure it wasn't for longer than 1-1/2 hours at 300. Maybe closer to an hour. Season, in a glass pan with a little bit of water and a lid..... good stuff. The water evaporates out by that time and is replaced with juice. They brown up nicely. I don't think I cook any meat up to 200F, but that's just me.

I was able to find bone in country style ribs for $.99/lb at our local grocery, so I bought a bunch.

I'd like to do some in the oven, and am wondering if low heat (225-250) until they reach 200 degrees or so works as well for country style ribs as it does for spare ribs.

Any guess at how much time I'm looking at for 3 or 4 lbs of ribs?

Thanks.

No matter what meat you are cooking, or how you cook it, if you take it to 200 degrees F it will be dry. Pork doesn't need to be cooked beyond 150, and even the conservative FDA doesn't recommend a temp beyond 170, which to me is "dead and buried, and dry, dry, dry."

I like to cook them in liquid, then coat them with BBQ sauce or rub and
crisp them up under the broiler.

For reference, this is what the country ribs look like around here. I have no idea about the poundage, I guess I don't pay attention to that either:ermm: These were cooked on the grill though. Probably around an hour. Indirect first, then direct once they were ready for the sauce.

Attachments

• rib dinner.jpg
    rib dinner.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 415
Yum, mozart. I love country-style ribs. One of my family's favorite ways to eat them is to brown them up nice and add them to our spaghetti sauce recipe. They give the sauce a great flavor and are so tender when done. I like them better than meatballs.

Since you, or rather your grocer used the term "Country Style Ribs" they were either cut from the blade end of the loin or more likely "created" from the butt....If that's the case then in I would place them in a dish with some BBQ sauce, cover tightly with foil at 325*... At 1 1/2 to 2 hours check for doneness. Then proceed to whatever else ya wanna do to them.

Have Fun!

Since you, or rather your grocer used the term "Country Style Ribs" they were either cut from the blade end of the loin or more likely "created" from the butt....If that's the case then in I would place them in a dish with some BBQ sauce, cover tightly with foil at 325*... At 1 1/2 to 2 hours check for doneness. Then proceed to whatever else ya wanna do to them.

Have Fun!

Hi Bob,

Country-style ribs are an actual cut of pork and not a grocer term. They come from the upper side of the rib cage and do indeed come from the fatty blade end of the loin.

In another post about oven spareribs you said "How about set your rubbed ribs on a pan...Set your oven at 225*....and pop in the oven.
Pull them when they reach 190* or so. When they get close to the 190* apply your sauce. If you want to you could baste them along the way.....Hope this will help"

That was my basis for saying about 200 degrees before taking them out.

So my question was, do these type of ribs benefit from very slow roasting the same way spareribs and baby back ribs do, or should I cook them at higher heat for shorter time.

I'm thinking the consensus so far has been the latter, but I have become a big fan of low heat, longer time cooking for a lot of meats, so I was wondering about this cut in particular.

Thanks.

"Country Style Ribs" created from the boston butt, and labeled as Country Style Ribs are a grocer/retailer term not a cut of pork. Obviously they are not ribs! A true Country Style rib is prepared form the blade end of a bone-in pork loin and shall consist of not less than three or more than six ribs. So what do you have...a true Country Style Rib or a created rib cut from the boston butt??????? That will determine your method of cooking.

Spare ribs are another story. Slow, low temperature cooking to 190* is (one) good method.

The "Created" from the Boston Butt "ribs" benefit from the same method(s) as whole boston butts...Again low and slow. Obviously the time will be less for faux "ribs" due the portion size.

If you have true Country Style Ribs then either way... broiling/grilling will work. Look for 145-150* Also you can BBQ slowly...225* for 2 to 4 hours. Both methods will work..I personally prefer cookingl them on the BBQ to the 145-150* range being careful not to dry the meat out!

Enjoy!

"Country Style Ribs" created from the boston butt, and labeled as Country Style Ribs are a grocer/retailer term not a cut of pork. Obviously they are not ribs! A true Country Style rib is prepared form the blade end of a bone-in pork loin and shall consist of not less than three or more than six ribs. So what do you have...a true Country Style Rib or a created rib cut from the boston butt??????? That will determine your method of cooking.

Spare ribs are another story. Slow, low temperature cooking to 190* is (one) good method.

The "Created" from the Boston Butt "ribs" benefit from the same method(s) as whole boston butts...Again low and slow. Obviously the time will be less for faux "ribs" due the portion size.

If you have true Country Style Ribs then either way... broiling/grilling will work. Look for 145-150* Also you can BBQ slowly...225* for 2 to 4 hours. Both methods will work..I personally prefer cookingl them on the BBQ to the 145-150* range being careful not to dry the meat out!

Enjoy!

Thanks Bob.

I usually cook 4-5 country style ribs and I'm sure it wasn't for longer than 1-1/2 hours at 300. Maybe closer to an hour. Season, in a glass pan with a little bit of water and a lid..... good stuff. The water evaporates out by that time and is replaced with juice. They brown up nicely. I don't think I cook any meat up to 200F, but that's just me.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I think I'll try pacanis' method with the first batch. Then sauce after they reach 150 or so. 4-5 is what I was thinking in a 9X9 glass dish covered with heavy foil.

I'll report back:LOL:

UB, can you tell which ones mine are from looking? I'm curious now if they are true country style or created. You have taught me something here... again :) I take it the ones cut from the butt are called ribs because of the shape then?

"Country style ribs" are indeed simply sliced from the shoulder (boston butt) as is a pork steak. I typically either indirect grill or smoke mine to 160. If they have enough mass, you could try to go for the 190-200 range for pulled pork as at those temps, provided they are achieved "low and slow" will lead to a breaking down of the connective tissue.

This one was smoked in my Big Green Egg:
img_535628_0_d98e338d3186037604011b76fb21db90.jpg

It took a little over two hours at 250 or so dome temp.

This one was done in my Weber kettle grill done indirectly:
img_535628_1_8ce7af4e020b88eecb4d6554dd925b4d.jpg

It took around an hour. The temp was probably 325 to 350.

Both of my submissions above came from a Publix meat market and are their "Greenwise" line. A local butcher shop cuts them a bit longer and flatter.

UB, can you tell which ones mine are from looking? I'm curious now if they are true country style or created. You have taught me something here... again :) I take it the ones cut from the butt are called ribs because of the shape then?

Based on shape alone, they appear to be "ribs" cut from a boston butt.
Faux "ribs" cut from the butt are a marketing tool used by retailers to increase profits! Next time you see whole "Boston Butts' advertised in your grocery ad look to see if they also advertise "Pork Steak"s (A sliced Boston Butt) You may also see "Country Style Ribs" (A pork steak cut into strips)
It works like this to the retailer....Boston Butts 99 cents per lb. Pork Steaks $1.39 per lb. Country Style Ribs $1.69 per pound. The object is to sell some "steaks" and "ribs" at a higher profit margin to help off set the lower margin on the whole butt!! In the meat case they may even be merchandised in very close proximity to each other. Boston Butts, Pork Steak, and (faux) Country Style Ribs are part and parcel the same piece of meat. Cooked properly all three can be melt-in-you-mouth tender!!

Blue Skies & Enjoy!!!

Edit...I can't spell. Grrrrrrr!!:ermm:

Last edited:
Interesting.
I've been meaning to switch to the butcher I got my chuck beef from as they raise pork, too. They're probably not as "marketing savvy" as the local Giant Eagle is..... hopefully more honest so someone like me gets the cut they think they are buying.
I've got some other pork in the freezer called "boneless country ribs". I guess I should consider myself lucky if they at least come from a pig :LOL:

And "blue skies" to you to!

Pacanis said:
I've got some other pork in the freezer called "boneless country ribs".

"Boneless Ribs" :ermm:..Is that what they call an oxymoron???:LOL:

Actually, I have seen, bought, and eaten these. Not sure what you have in your freezer, but they could be boned out from the true Country Style Rib (loin) section. Take a look...if they look like pork chop meat (loin) with maybe some darker red on one end (shoulder) then that's what they are. Rather than cut the true Country Style Rib...they bone it out as "Boneless Ribs" Again for sales and profit. Oh often times the left over 6 bones with a few addtional ones attached you will see in your meat case as "Baby Back Ribs" ...:huh: Ah ha! The plot thickens!!!

I sure hope Mozart got his answer(s) because we sure are off topic!!!!:LOL:

A Thousand pardons!!!

"Boneless Ribs" :ermm:..Is that what they call an oxymoron???:LOL:

Actually, I have seen, bought, and eaten these. Not sure what you have in your freezer, but they could be boned out from the true Country Style Rib (loin) section. Take a look...if they look like pork chop meat (loin) with maybe some darker red on one end (shoulder) then that's what they are. Rather than cut the true Country Style Rib...they bone it out as "Boneless Ribs" Again for sales and profit. Oh often times the left over 6 bones with a few additional ones attached you will see in your meat case as "Baby Back Ribs" ...:huh: Ah ha! The plot thickens!!!

I sure hope Mozart got his answer(s) because we sure are off topic!!!!:LOL:

A Thousand pardons!!!

Got my answers and the "ribs" is cooking:ROFLMAO:, and not off topic at all.

I guess since I paid $.99 and they had pork butts also for $.99, that my grocer may be unethical, but to stupid to gain from it:LOL::LOL:

Yum, mozart. I love country-style ribs. One of my family's favorite ways to eat them is to brown them up nice and add them to our spaghetti sauce recipe. They give the sauce a great flavor and are so tender when done. I like them better than meatballs.

What a great idea, Katie!

I'd love them with sauerkraut, but my husband hates and detests kraut.

Back
Top Bottom