That lemon cake/lemon pudding pie filling recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Warm winter lemon cake is here.......
but here's what I did to mine.......
lemon cake mix, make according to package instructions
butter a 9x13 and put the cake mix batter in there
2 packages (4 serving size) instant pudding and pie filling 1 lemon-1 vanilla
2 C milk
1 C 2 T water, 2 T *imitation lemon extract*
1/3 C sugar (I used raw)
Mix the dry pudding mixs and the other ingredients together and whisk 2 minutes until blended.
Pour on top of batter and bake @ 350 for 55-60 minutes.
Take out and let cool a bit and dust with showdered pugar.

Sounds yummy. I bet lemon bars can be made if the pudding is incorporated into the batter.

I made this... only deviation from the recipie was using pure lemon extract rather than imitation.

I used a 3qt. pyrex 9x13 and wound up with a massive boilover, and a cake floating on boiling pudding. Anyway (besides using a deeper pan) to prevent the boilover?

Do you put this in an extra deep 13x9 pan? Seems like a cake mix would almost fill it up and the recipe calls for 3 more cups of liquid + the pkgs of pudding.

It really sounds good and I'm going to give it a go for Superbowl.

It is pretty good, but it will boil over in a standard size 13x9 pan (3qt). It didn't manage it until after approx 45 minutes into baking... as I looked in on it then. I didn't smell any smoke until about a minute to go in baking (54 minutes into) so it might not boil over if you catch it early enough.

I'm kinda curious if mixing half of the pudding mixture into the batter first would reduce the "cake floating on bubbly pudding" effect I ran into... and possibly some of the boilover problem.

Or reduce the water slightly maybe.

Also wondering if this could be adapted to a chocolate cake (using chocolate pudding and ommiting the extract).

Last edited:
Thanks LEFSElover for the warm winter lemon cake recipe - 9 year old grandson and I made it a couple of days ago - very good. He did all the mixing and was very proud of the cake. Yes, this is a thank you bump! :)

I made this... only deviation from the recipie was using pure lemon extract rather than imitation. I used a 3qt. pyrex 9x13 and wound up with a massive boilover, and a cake floating on boiling pudding. Anyway (besides using a deeper pan) to prevent the boilover?
I wish I was better at taking pictures of things I do or use, in this case, the vessel I used for baking. It's a lazagna le creuset oval thingie. It's the size of about, well, I just measured it, and it's 2"x14" and it's again oval. It's made it Holland, says 36 on the bottom and is the weight/look/feel/cooks like Le Creuset but isn't. It's light blue with dark blue 3 dots corn flower much like CorningWare used to have on their white ceramic/porcelain whatever cookware. I had no trouble with any boil overs but did put a pan on the shelf under just in case. Hum, I don't know why it didn't work for you, cause gad, it's soooo good.
Thanks LEFSElover for the warm winter lemon cake recipe - 9 year old grandson and I made it a couple of days ago - very good. He did all the mixing and was very proud of the cake. Yes, this is a thank you bump! :)
Oh thanks Dave, very kind of you. Glad you enjoyed...

2 C milk
1/3 C sugar (I used raw)
Mix the dry pudding mixs and the other ingredients together and whisk 2 minutes until blended.

i made this last week for guests. used sugar free lemon pudding 2 pk . i found recipe in mag. and follow that. my guests loved it. my dil took some home. she never takes dessert home, is on a diet always, or so she says.

babe

That lemon/lemon pudding cake

I thought to mention - I got some oven overflow also- caught it early and slipped a cookie sheet under the pan and didn't have an impossible clean up.

And yes, seems like pour the filling on top and it is supposed to go to the bottom - I also had cake on top of pudding. Thought it to be ok but the posted photo suggested to me that the pudding should stay on top? No clue.
:ohmy: We liked it.

2 C milk
1/3 C sugar (I used raw)

Off topic but was a good game with the kids. We invented a language called "Lig-Patin", like Pig-Latin but with the first letters from each word transposed. The rules were that you had to take the first sound of each word and transpose it to the next word in the sentence. For instance, the sentence - Jane went to the store. - would have been spoken - Sane jent wo the tore. It taught the kids to be able to think about things as they did them in real time, speeding their reaction time. Another fun game was to copy what a person was saying and stay between 1 and three words behind them as they spoke. This was done to radio and television broadcasts and with each other. Again, it trains reaction time. The mispelled phrase - showdered pugar - reminded me of those games.

On topic: Another thing you can do with the lemon cake and pudding is to bake the cake according to box directions (add and extra tbs. of cooking oil to improve the texture), and then, mix the instant pudding with milk and pour over the cake, letting it saturate the crumb. Refrigerate and serve cold. This makes a very refreshing cake. You can also pour lemon jello into the cake before the jello has time to set. Again, refrigerate and serve cold. Both the liquid pudding and liquid jello cakes taste great.

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
-Off topic: that "misspelled" phrase is actually a spoonerism.

Considering a modification of this (in addition to using a cookie sheet with foil on it to catch spills)... namely mixing half the pudding mix into the cake batter prior to filling the pan.

This would probably lengthen the time my cake needed to bake. Any other ideas on what it could do?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom