Mystery ingredients: HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NisAznMonk

Assistant Cook
I've got the following:

one 1lb bag of red beans
three 10.5 oz cans of beef broth
white rice
brown rice
shoulder steak

Tools:
slow cooker
George foreman grill
stove

What can I do with this stuff? It has to be simple, and I don't mind that it takes awhile (if I have to use the slow cooker).

Chili with Beans

Cut the beef in half inch cubes, sear it in a skillet then drop it in the slow cooker, add the beans, 2 cans of beef broth and slow cook for about 5-6 hours. If you have any spices or herbs laying around, add them. The more chili based condiments the better it will be.

Steam the rice with one can of beef broth for flavor. Serve with chili.

Last edited:
could you do a form of chilli? Or a casserole? Depending on the type of white rice you have would depend on how successful this would be but you could make a risotto. Or puree the beans and serve with the steak (and I would roast the steak myself so that it falls off the bone).

I've got the following:

one 1lb bag of red beans
white rice
brown rice
shoulder steak

Tools:
slow cooker
George foreman grill
stove

What can I do with this stuff? It has to be simple, and I don't mind that it takes awhile (if I have to use the slow cooker).

do you have an over or just a range on the stove?

ok lets work with these:

one 1lb bag of red beans
brown rice
shoulder steak

1) cook the rice, instead of using water, use 1/2 water 1/2 broth. use 2 cups of liquid for every cup of rice.

2) make the beans as instructed on the package. (you may need to soak these overnight.)

3) trim any fat from the shoulder.

if you have an oven....

-sear the shoulder over a HOT HOT pan until it is well colored on all sides.
- transfer to a 350 degree oven until it has reach an internal temp of 135-145 degrees(how thick is the cut?)
-remove from the over and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
-transfer to the forman for 1-2 minutes until it has some nice grill lines.

if no oven....
-sear the meat same as above
-fill a pot with enough stock to cover 1/3 to 2/3 of the meat. bring to a simmer. add the meat and cook for approx 25-35 minutes or until an internal temp of 135-145.
- slice into strips and serve over the rice and beans

sounds like a one pot meal in the making anyway.
diced beef and soaked beans in the bottom of the slow cooker add a few cups of rice to cover this and then top up with your beef stock so it Only Just covers all the rice.
switch on low and leave it for a couple of hours.

sounds like a one pot meal in the making anyway.
diced beef and soaked beans in the bottom of the slow cooker add a few cups of rice to cover this and then top up with your beef stock so it Only Just covers all the rice.
switch on low and leave it for a couple of hours.

So I don't add any water right? The only liquid in the pot is the beef broth?

Without running to look it up searing is when you put a cut of meat in a hot pan long enough to cook and seal just a crusty outside layer of the meat. The searing holds in the juices, concentrates flavor at the crust and gives a great presentation to the meat.

Thinking that if you ask what searing is Dinas or YT2095 are on track with your experience. IMHO It would be great in the slow cooker crock pot!

Back
Top Bottom