Pork Brasciole

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i saw this recipe on a cooking show starring steve schirripa, aka bobby bacala from" the sopranos", and decided to try it at home.
the recipe was actually from "il cortile", a restaurant in nyc's little italy. i love pork brasciole, and this one was probably the best i've ever had in my life.

ingredients (all approximated :chef:)
a small, boneless pork shoulder roast, skin and extra fat removed, sliced into 6 steaks
6 large cloves of garlic, sliced
6 heaping tbsps of dried parsley
4 cups of grated parmagiano reggiano
2 cups of seasoned breadcrumbs, soaked in a coupla tbsps of evoo until moist
salt and pepper

2 - 28 oz cans of whole peeled tomatoes

pound each of the 6 pork steaks thin into a roughly rectangular shape, as thin as you can without making holes, to make scallopinis about half the size of an average dinner plate. each scallopini should have a good amount of fat running through it, or at least around the edges.

lay out a scallopini, sprinkle with s&p, and along the center place a line of sliced garlic from end to end. next, over the garlic spread a tbsp or so of parsley, then cheese, again, along the center line. finally, spread a line of the evoo soaked seasoned breadcrumbs over the garlic/parsley/cheese.

fold in the short ends just and inch or so, then roll the pork encapsulating the ends to seal in the stuffing. tie each end, then once or twice across the middle to hold them into log shapes, or brasciole.

in a large sautee pan over medium high heat, brown the brasciole well on all sides (you may have to do 3 at a time in 2 batches) in evoo. set browned brasciole aside, drain off any remaining fat.
add the liquid from the cans of tomatoes to deglaze the bottom of the pan, scraping up all of the brown bits. chop or hand crush the tomatoes and add in.
when the tomato sauce just begin to bubble, turn heat to low and arrange the brascioles back into the pan.
if your sautee pan is not large enough, or you started with a frying pan, transfer the sauce to a stock pot (making sure to scrape and bits from the bottom of the frying pan), and add the brascioles.
simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on low, until the brasciole are fork tender.

serve with pasta and/or crusty italian bread.

I copied this one, BT. It sounds fantastic. But since I'm new to this, I want to ask why the pork needs to be fairly fatty. I don't have a problem with fat - I just wanted to know what will happen if I get some that doesn't have enough fat.

f-mom, a less fatty cut of meat has far less flavor and can be dry and tough. it needs some fat for moisture, flavor, and tenderness. and pork fat rules, to quote emeril.

the same show had the chef from il cortile making beef brasciole to go with them, and meatballs for sunday sauce. since beef (he used a chuck roast) is less fatty than pork, he added a slice of fat from the skin of a prosciutto to kick it up. emeril again. :-p

also, he added some pignoli nuts and rehydrated raisins for even more flavor. i'm going to that the next time i see chuck roasts on sale.

but there's something special about fatty pork, herbs, and cheese in sauce. oh man, i'm gettin' hungry.

i made this again this week and it wasn't as good. :neutral:
too salty and the garlic was too strong. i guess the garlic i bought the first time was sweeter. sorry if anyone made this and it sucked.

the next time i'm going to toast the garlic first, use fresh instead of dried parsley, and eliminate extra salt. the cheese has enough salt in it for my tastes. then it should be a winner again.

Back
Top Bottom