Making Gumbo Black

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casual Cook

Assistant Cook
Hello,

In drives through very rural Lousiana, I noticed that the local gumbos are often pitch black.

What is the secret to getting it so dark? I have tried making the roux darker (almost to burning) and have got the gumbo dark brown, but not pitch black. Any tips will be appreciated.

Also.... how much flour to how much oil in the roux is ideal?

I've only made it once, and I followed Paul Prudhomme's recipe from a cookbook I borrowed from a friend. I think it was equal parts oil and flour (most roux is made that way), and the directions said to keep stirring till it didn't darken any more. It was definitely black ;) I didn't know if I had done something wrong and it was for a Cajun-themed dinner party, but everyone seemed to love it :)

use butter for your roux, not oil....and cook it for at least an hour, and probably closer to two.

The key is in your roux, like stated, cook it until it is dark brown, like good dark chocolate. Also the stock can be darker, and the gumbo file will add some more dark tones to it.

Thanks for the great suggestions regarding roux cooking time and butter. A cold front jsut moved in and it is definelty gumbo time. :)

I just remembered another ingredient. A girl from louisiana told me that real roux can only be made in an old cast iron pot. She said that I should haunt the thrift shops until I find the right one.
:cool:

CC, I think Vera advised using butter. You certainly can use oil, and many folks do, although I prefer and always use butter. And the longer you cook it the darker it gets.

The formula is eaual volumes of fat and flour. You don't have to too scientific in the measurement.

And I am with GG, it is the taste that counts. Although different colors of roux have different tastes.

Good luck.

Causal Cook said:
What is the secret to getting it so dark?

Patience! Patience!

Causal Cook said:
Also.... how much flour to how much oil in the roux is ideal?

50/50 is what most cookbooks say. I personally don't measure, but I use a little more flour than oil. Maybe 2/3 cup oil to 1 cup flour ratio...maybe more. It's the browned flour that I am looking for in the gumbo, not the oil.

A cast iron skillet is a big plus...but not absolutely necessary!

Pure Peanut oil is my fat of choice for the very dark rouxs.

Have Fun!

My neighbor, Mrs. Bordis, sent me over some delicious black gumbo once. Come to find out, it had raccoon meat in it.

I have had a few Gumbos in small Louisiana towns that had a hard boiled egg in there as well. I think gumbo is like Bouillabaisse, it is whatever you want to put in it. Bouillabaisse was historically the food of the poorer people in Marsialle etc because it was basically a stew of either day old fish or low grade types of fish. Ironically, it is the signature dish at expensiveFrench restaraunts here in the USA.

i'm from louisiana, born & raised on the bayou, and my father makes the darkest but NOT BURNED roux i've ever seen.

there are 2 secrets... (1) low heat, and (2) lots of time. he goes about 45 min to get it to a dark chocolate color, and then, he turns the fire down and watches it very, very closely for about another 15 to 20 min.

there's a VERY FINE LINE to doing this, but remember, if you even burn it slightly, it'll ruin the flavor, and you'll have to start all over again.

btw, the locals make the following gumbos:

seafood - includes shrimp, crawfish tails, crab, oysters.
chicken & sausage - self explanatory
"complete" gumbo - mixture of the two above.
"wild" gumbo - duck & andouille, and i've even tasted some nutria gumbo.
"broke" gumbo - when the $$ is short, you put in boiled eggs, hotdogs, and any other leftovers to a chicken & sausage gumbo.

my mom's biggest secret is to add some smoked turkey meat to her "complete" gumbo. when she does that, the ingredients to feed 15 - 20 people can easily top $175-if you use fresh ingredients.

Last edited:
seafood - includes shrimp, crawfish tails, crab, oysters.
chicken & sausage - self explanatory
"complete" gumbo - mixture of the two above.
"wild" gumbo - duck & andouille, and i've even tasted some nutria gumbo.
"broke" gumbo - when the $$ is short, you put in boiled eggs, hotdogs, and any other leftovers to a chicken & sausage gumbo.

my mom's biggest secret is to add some smoked turkey meat to her "complete" gumbo. when she does that, the ingredients to feed 15 - 20 people can easily top $175-if you use fresh ingredients.

Nutria.....it would take a million bucks to get me to eat nutria. I've heard it's not horrible tasting, but getting past the 'giant rat' thing is an obstacle for me. I'll be back in New Orleans in April. Liuzza's by the Track has the best gumbo I've ever tasted, although I wouldn't mind an invitation to your Mom's house....:angel:

I think the darker roux is the more cajun way, but doesnt mean its the only way. I grew up an hour north of New Orleans and my family has always made a brownish gumbo. It has a little sweeter taste and isnt too bad, I liked it a lot as a child. But now that I make my own I prefer it darker (and spicier), but I dont get too specific, usually about the time when I'm tired of standing there stirring is when its good enough - 45 mins approx.

Also, my fav is to have it with ritz crackers and a glass of milk.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom