Another Vote for Baumalu Copper Cookware

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookNow

Cook
After following various threads on this forum regarding copper cookware for awhile, I recently picked up a Baumalu copper saucepan (2mm thickness) at one of the Tuesday Morning stores. ($79.00 US)

The saucepan works great, heats up really fast, and cleans up beautifully. It's nice to get some variety in my cookware lineup, and to have a pan that responds so quickly. I like the fact that it has a tin lining; something different for me.

My wife and I have had a copper Calphalon (SS lined) saucepan for a few years now, but it doesn't seem to heat up that fast at all. Appears to have just a thin copper coating on the outside.

Baumalu gets my vote!

CookNow,
I own Baumalu pans and they are great, I also have 3 SS lined copper sauciers made by a Belgian company (Falk Culinaire), they are 2mm thick with a 0.2 mm SS lining.
The pans heat up extremely fast and you need protection to handle the lids.
The material thickness combination is probably the reason why the Calphalon pans are less efficient, perhaps the cooper is only for visual purposes.

Allclad and Calphalon both have copper coated cookware, but they are really aluminum pans with a ss lining and a thin copper exterior. Good pans yes, but not the cooking capabilities of solild copper.

CookNow: I also have several tin lined copper pans...the sound is different in sauteeing and it is totally non-reactive. It darkens with age, but I've never had a problem with mine. I soak them clean while I'm eating and they wipe clean easily.

Hi I too own baumalu or just recently became a proud owner!!! One question how do I know if copper is showing through the tin lining? I see a certain darkness it looks a bit diffused in color grey and black. Is this normal? Also is a tin lined pan conducive for cooking spicy foods as I did add cumin, red chilli, and turmeric to my cauliflower while cooking in the pan. Help please!!!!

Geetika:
I recently learned that "tin darkens naturally upon exposure to heat and certain foods, but the coloring is completely harmless and should not be removed."

So, I guess I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited:
geetika,
If cooper is showing thru the tin you will see it right away due to the color difference.
As Robo410 and CookNow stated, tin will be darker as you cook. I did some experiment yesterday and was able to clean up a tin pan with lemon juice and baking soda, but I wouldn't do it again because there is not a very significant difference with the regularly cleaned pans. I always run my fingers thru the pan surface while cleaning to make sure there are no scratches -sometimes fingers can "see" better than eyes-, since a deep scratch may leave cooper exposed.

Hello everyone I like my baumalu pans too. However, in sheer ignorance I might have destroyed my tin lining and will take my pan for re-tinning. Any tips for maintaining my lining and also did anyone else have the same problem with the pans?

geetika,
I am not sure what you mean by destroying the tin lining...
did you scratch it?
did you use a metal instrument and gauged your pan?
did you leave it in the oven empty?
Please be a bit more specific, perhaps it is not a big deal.

Tips:
Do not exposed the pan to high heat empty.
Do not use metal or sharp instruments when cooking on tin lined pans.
When cleaning, use just warm water and a celullose sponge with soapdish... the tin itself acts as a non-stick with most foods and they are very easy to clean.

Okay I will be more specific my husband used metal spoon to scoop out food and now I can clearly see copper beneath the lining in some areas. So that pretty much means that I need to to get my pan retinned. I just used my pan twice and I really like it. There is a shop nearby called rocky mountain re tinning maybe I will take my pan and see what they have to say. Any luck with the beka copper pans?
Thanks you so much

geetika,
Ouch!.. I am so sorry to hear that. I think retinning costs about $5/linear inch (you measure the pan height plus the diameter plus the height again), I'd bring it to the shop right away, perhaps they can fix it without retinning completely.
I went to the store to get the Beka pan, but someone took the price off so I have to wait until tomorrow (is the day the manager will be back) to get it tagged again so I can buy it. No biggie, I figure a couple of days won't make a difference.
Bonne cuisine!

WYSIWYG,
By the way, my DW and I just added a copper Mauviel SS lined saucepan (4 qt) to the collection as well. Got it at Williams-Sonoma over the weekend, and last night I noticed that the lid didn't seem to rest completely flat on the pan. Actually totters a bit, leaving a millimeter of space on either side. Not a big deal to me, but after thinking about how much we spent on this beautiful piece of cookware, I decided to call the store manager and ask what my options are.

Well, they couldn't have been nicer about offering a replacement, pronto. Didn't even look at the now-cooked-in pan that I returned, but gave me a brand new one, no questions asked. (We inspected the new one in the store)

Although Williams-Sonoma is certainly a pricey place to shop for cookware they deserve kudos for taking care of their customers!

Wow CookNow,
Congratulations, Mauviel pans are great. Your taste is exquisite and your pocket deep LOL Seriously, those pans are beautiful pieces of equipment that should last forever.
Good thing they replaced the pan you bought, the lid should fit tight to expedite cooking.
To avoid burning your fingers every time you pick that lid (it will heat up very quickly), I suggest you to cut a piece of cork from a champagne bottle and force it inside the lid handle.
Bonne cuisine!

Thanks for your tips... Retinning in denver for my stockpot is around 50 bucks along with polishing. Maybe, as you suggested the pot can be salvaged without needing to re lined. Hope you get to buy the copper pans at Tj maxx. I am planning to buy a 3mm hand hammered saucepan.

Hello geetika,
I sincerely hope the shop can fix your pan without retinning, although I doubt it.
They need to heat up the pan about the tin melting point to re-apply the lining. Unless they can heat up a very small and specific area, I can't see how they can fix it without completely retinning.
I own two hand hammered pans, I think they are called sateuse conique. I use the small one quite often, they are very good to reduce sauces. The hammering is done on the side walls to improve the pan strength, but I think anything over 2.5 mm is already strong enough. I will go today to TJMAxx to check the oval pan, hopefully I can get it.

Well wysiwyg, I will try to click a picture maybe over the weekend. Anyways I think what happened was that accidently I might have cleaned my pan with acetone covered towel although washed the pan with soap later. However, my husband used metal ladel to scoop out the food. Maybe, all this led to the evaporation of the lining. Well, I am going tomorrow to the re tinning guy lets see what happens. I also plan to buy a 3mm sauce pan from him which is hand hammered. You mentioned you use your hand hammered saucepan often. Thanks so much for your help. It seems to me that you own a lot of copper ware. Did you buy yours at tuesday morning :chef:and william and sonama.

I have had good luck with Rocky Mountain Retinning. The owner answers the phones, wil respond to emails, and will tell you when to expect your pans back. I have recently given away most of my non copper or cast iron cookware. Copper is by far the best for me, but has it's limitations. Namely, it requires care. If you have kids, or careless spouses, copper is probably not the best choice, as it does not fare well with misuse. Get yourself a handful of wooden implements from the local grocery or kitchen store, and use them. I use the cast iron for the things that it will do best. Tin will melt at 450 degrees, so searing is out in copper, For me, beans with ham and cornbread can be cooked only in a cast iron dutch oven and skillet. As to Rocky Mountain Retinning, He has acquired from somewhere the makings of sets of saucepans which look to me like French or Italian. He is selling them in sets of four sizes which are handmade in his shop for around $250 delivered to Virginia, with lids. I have purchased two sets, one for a gift, and these are my most admired pots. 3 mm copper, tin lined, hand hammered exterior. Cast iron handles, even on the lids. I use mine every day. I can pick up the pots or the lids without burning my hands without any protection. Prior to my purchase of his saucepans, the last time I needed his services was around 10 years ago. Copper will last if taken care of. No, I don't know the guy, nor do I get a cut. As for your damaged pan, I believe he will give you a straight answer.

Last edited:
Relative to Rocky Mountain, the only thing I can say is that I sent them an e-mail like six months ago and I am still waiting for a reply.
It wasn't a big deal, just a question but I guess the owner was so busy that didn't have time so I asked the same question to a shop in PA who answered timely.
I agree with Bigjim69 relative to taking care of cooper, I have a great Bosch dishwasher that I rarely use since I wash everything by hand. It is a pain, I know but reminds me the value of the things I am cleaning every day.

Hello Bigjim8 and wysiwyg I agree with you both that one needs to take care of copper cookware. As I mentioned earlier my pan is not damaged I just overreacted. Actually, I took the pan to the rocky mountain shop and they told me it was just fine and one should wash the pan with hot soap and water and wipe clean with a cloth. The shop has been operational since 1970s and is near a very cool and hip part of denver downtown. The owner is originally from eastern Europe and has been rtinning pans since a long time. He seemed like a nice guy and polished and re tinned the 4 saucepans from before selling to me for 200 dollars alonf with a lid. If any one of you need quick answers or anything from them let me know I can either call them or drive the shop is around 20 minutes away from my house. Bigjim you are right the saucepans are beautiful and I like the hand hammered look.

I am impressed that wysiwyg you wash your dishes by hand.

Hello geetika,
Thank you for the offer to ask the shop owner about retinning questions. I have a friend in Denver too, can't remember where he lives but never thought about asking him.
I think that $200 for four hand hammered pans with lids is a great price, regardless of pan size. I went to a Williams Sonoma store for the first time this week and had shock treatment at the prices of the stuff there... $190 for a 9.5" cooper frying pan !!! Wow.

I don't mind doing dishes by hand, I was trained to make washing dishes part of the mise en place routine in the kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom