Cottage cheesecake pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChefRuby

Cook

This is my recipe of cottage cheesecake pie. My friends all love that taste, so I post it here. Hope you will like it too.
Step 1: Pie crust
In a mixing bowl, combine 1/4 cup cake flour and 3/4 cup all purpose flour, add 4 tbsp cold trans-fat-free margarine in small portion and scatter them evenly over flour mixture. Shake the mixing bowl to have flour well covered with margarine. The combination of margarine and flour leads to very small peas and no white flour can be found any more.
Add ice water tsp by tsp, shake the bowl to ensure water is absorbed thoroughly. Totally, 5 tbsp ice water is added.
Just shake the bowl, if there is some flour sticking at the bottom, scoop it with a rubber spatula.
Transfer the loose dough to a sandwich bag, seal the bag and shape the dough into a flat disk and chill it for 1 hour at least.
Dust the board and rolling pin, brush excess flour.
Transfer the chilled dough on the board and roll it out into a circle, which is 2 to 3 inches larger than the 9 inch pie pan. Transfer it to the pie pan, shape it well.
Brush some water and bake the pie crust in preheated oven (400F) for 6 minutes.

Step 2: Cottage cheesecake filling
Whisk 3/4 cup cottage cheese to smooth. Combine 2/3 cup plain yogurt, 1 tbsp cake flour, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 whole egg, 1 egg white and 1 tbsp lemon juice. Strain through a sieve and smooth the residue with a rubber spatula until all filling can pass through the sieve.
Pour the mixture into the baked crust, sprinkle some raisin or other berries, and bake in preheated oven (350F) for 35 minutes, or until the edge is slightly golden-browned.
Turn off the power and let the pie cool in the oven so that the surface of the pie will not crack.
Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Looks like a Ukrainian style recipe cheese cake I have made about a dozen or so times. Well received also - I'll copy yours and compare. I just might learn something! :)

I had heard of cottage cheesecake pie but was leary of it. Yours, however, looks very yummy and I will have to try it.
Think I can sub a graham cracker crust though?

Could you tell me what the UK equivalent of cake flour would be? Would it be like Self Raising Flour and All Purpose be plain flour?

I had heard of cottage cheesecake pie but was leary of it. Yours, however, looks very yummy and I will have to try it.
Think I can sub a graham cracker crust though?

Actually, the recipe I found does not have crust, but I feel it not convenient to serve in party. Therefore, I add crust :chef:. I believe all crust can be used :cool:

Could you tell me what the UK equivalent of cake flour would be? Would it be like Self Raising Flour and All Purpose be plain flour?

Self Raising Flour contains baking powder, it can't be used as cake flour. Cake flour is a kind of soft flour, similar to pastry flour but slightly less gluten than pastry flour. If you can't find cake flour, I guess, pastry flour will work.

Hi, I've used all purpose flour for this type of cheese cake and the Chef is correct - you can do without a crust and yes indeed a graham cracker crust is just fine. Somewhere burried in my files is a modification to make it gluten free, for the particular affliction that some have who can't eat wheat containing foods. I made it for a friend and for my part I couldn't tell the difference in filling or crust.

csalt - i would choose plain flour as the recipe doesn't require raising agents - just to bind the ingredients.

cake flour

Hi,
If making pastry the the flours to use in the UK are as follows:
Short crust pastry - plain flour
Suet pastry - plain flour
Choux pastry - plain or preferably strong flour
Puff pastry - plain or strong flour

Cakes;
Creamed sponge - self-raising flour or plain flour with added raising agent
Whisked sponge - usually plain flour

Hope this helps,
Archiduc

Here's the info about the flour:

Flour - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't hold me to this, but it seems I remember reading somewhere that when subbing all purpose for cake flour, you should use just a little less.

Does anybody have any info about this?

yes, Connie, if a recipe calls for 1 cup all purpose flour and you want to substitute cake flour, you should use 1 cup plus 2T. cake flour.

And if a recipe calls for 1 cup cake flour and you want to use all purpose, you would use 7/8ths cup all purpose flour.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom