Any sprouters out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillBurgh

Sous Chef
I just started sprouting!:lucky:

I'm wondering if anyone has tips or favorites. I've only enjoyed alfalfa so far. I heard sunflower was the best, but I had to nix them because they came out fuzzy (blech). And Sno Pea was terribly bitter. Now I've ordered some mung because I think that's what you get in Chinese food? Yes?

Some vendors have mixed blends too, which I'm sure I'll eventually try.

One other thing, I hear that sprouts are crazy nutritious, but it doesn't seem to me that you can reap the benefits unless you eat a whole lot of sprouts every day. They're not substantial in that sense, you know? Does anyone know how much sprout ingestion it requires to pack yourself full of antioxidants?

Thoughts and advice about sprouting will be appreciated!

I don't grow my own, but I eat a lot of mung bean sprouts.
They keep very nicely in a jar of water. Just replace the water
every other day.

I don't know much about the % nutrient per X amount sproutage, but I'm sure they pack a decent nutritional punch per handful.

Around here I can find various sprouts in the produce section, they do fairly well in a plastic crate, I'd say almost a week. I enjoy them in stirfrys on occassion.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the comments. How interesting that radish sprouts are spicy. My BF loves hot stuff. He literally eats habaneros whole as a side to daily meals, seeds n all, like an apple. It's insane and I wouldn't believe it if I didn't live with it every day. Anyway, I'll have to give those a try for him.

I checked out those links about nutrition and foodborne illness (thanks!) and I'm surprised to see that you'd have to eat a CUP of sprouts to get only 3-4%DV of most nutrients, but a quarter of your DV of Vitamin C. Who eats a cup of sprouts a day?!

They do taste great though! I'm sticking with it.. at least until outdoor garden season is here.

Mustard and cress are so easy to grow and they grow on a wet kitchen paper towel or a bit of cottonwool. Have a peppery taste. You plant one a couple of days before the other so they crop at the same time and serve them mixed together.

Snow Pea and Sunflower sprouts are similar in flavour I find but i find their stalks annoying - good choking hazard!

The bean sprouts in Asian cooking provide a good crunch and are very easy to grow - glass jar in cupboard.

Mustard and cress are so easy to grow and they grow on a wet kitchen paper towel or a bit of cottonwool.

Wish I knew it was that easy before I sprung for the Sprouting Kit. What a racket! Keeps the greens away from the cat, though.

I'm gonna try some microgreens too.

Back
Top Bottom