Pineapple dish with crab and avocado?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mom of the goat boy

Assistant Cook
I have left over king crab with that I plan to stuff avocados but I have a very ripe pineapple that needs to be eaten. Can I put them together at the same meal?

I don't see why not and Welcome to DC! I would serve crab with a salsa that had pineapple and avocado in (except I'm allergic to avocado LOL). But if in doubt about it, use the pineapple as a dessert - eg upside down pineapple cake or pineapple rings sautes in rum butter served with a big scoop of vanilla icecream (or coconut).

The taste of the pineapple may over power the taste of the crab and the avocado. That would be one of my two main concerns, the other being the acid content of the pineapple toughening up the crab if left too long.

Wow crab with pineapple.. If I were to go that way, I would make a deviled crab to stuff the avocado with. Put some butter in a skillet and brown off the pineapple to soften it's flavor and it's texture. You could also grill the pineapple. Then lay it over the top of the crab mixture. I think straight up raw pineapple would be a bit much for the crab to contend with.

OK - they serve this dish at the sushi place we go to and the best I can do is roughly explain.

They scoop out the avocado and cube it. They then mix in crab, chopped scallops, chopped shrimp, and some kind of hot sauce mixture - Sriracha (I know I didn't spell that right and I'm too tired to look it up, sorry) but there's more to it than just Sriracha and I don't know what it is. Anyway, they mix all this up and top with some "crunchies" and bake for about 20 minutes - man oh man is it the bomb! It's quite addictive! The avocado is by them soft and everything is heated through and YUMMY!

I am on board with kitchenelf - one of my best crab cake recipes calls for Sriracha (you spelled it right!) mixed with mayonnaise and a touch of lemon juice as the dipping sauce. Sriracha has a little garlic in it, and mixed with the mayo, reminds me a little of remoulade- the dipping sauce is SO luscious! And lots of sushi restaurants DO use mayonnaise in their sauces, so that might be what was in your avocado dish?

At any rate, given the ingredients (I am just going to assume we can add some ingredients here!) I would probably cube the avocado, mix with diced red pepper for crunch, mix in the crab, and the sauce - approximately 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1-2 tsp. Sriracha, and 1 tsp. lemon juice. Pile in avocado shells. I think they could be baked or served cold, whichever you prefer.

Maybe do a pineapple salsa with it? Cubed pineapple, chopped mint, minced jalepeno, squirt lime juice and a dash of brown sugar. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom