Need Menu Suggestions, Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Cottrell

Head Chef
For my next upcoming trip to daughter's to watch the grandkids. I'll be there three or four days and need menu suggestions.:ermm:
One night I'm going with Roxy's Taco Pie - what goes with?
One night I'm going with cabbage rolls - same question.

Please make it basic because I don't have hours in the kitchen while watching the grandkids - age 7 & 8. :chef:

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the question Uncle Bob - actually menu for three adults who aren't picky but also for two kids, age 7 & 8 whom I have learned to "work around" .

Something with cheese is always a hit with kids. I can't think of anything except mac and cheese right now though. I just got home, let me think a minute.

Along the lines of what Texasgirl said, something with cheese, perhaps a home-made pizza and give them choices for toppings.

I make a healthy version of mac and cheese frequently for dh who's super-picky, and our 2 yr-old dd and me. If we want more of a meal I'll cook some chicken breasts (however you want) and steam some broccoli. If we're going lighter we'll just do salads and fruit.

I cook 1 box of the Barilla Plus elbow macaroni and then mix in:

2 c shredded cheddar
12 oz cottage cheese (small curd)
8 oz sour cream

Spread in a 13x9" baking dish sprayed w/ non-stick spray. Bake, covered, in a 350F oven for about 30 minutes or until heated through.

Also, do they like breakfast? What about doing breakfast for dinner one night? Eggs, a meat, fruit, toast/bagels/muffins, or even French toast?

Enjoy your visit!

For my next upcoming trip to daughter's to watch the grandkids. I'll be there three or four days and need menu suggestions.:ermm:
One night I'm going with Roxy's Taco Pie - what goes with?
One night I'm going with cabbage rolls - same question.

Please make it basic because I don't have hours in the kitchen while watching the grandkids - age 7 & 8. :chef:

Any other suggestions?

I like to serve Mexican rice or guacamole and tortilla chips with tacos. I found a really easy Mexican rice recipe recently - saute a clove of garlic and 1 small chopped onion in oil for a few minutes. Add 1-1/2 cups rice and stir to coat. Add 2 cups chicken broth and 1 cup prepared salsa. Cover, bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

For the cabbage rolls, some kind of potatoes - boiled, baked or mashed - would be good.

Most kids love spaghetti and meatballs, don't they? You could make the meatballs and sauce in advance and take it with you. Serve with green beans, peas or a salad, whatever they like.

HTH.

Back
Top Bottom