Stewing beef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marygio

Assistant Cook
I have some stew beef that I need to use. I think my family is getting tired of the old beef stew. Got any ideas of something new and kid friendly that I could make out of stew beef?

Thanks for the help!

- Marygio

Braised beef with carrots. This is something my youngest absolutely adores (he is 10).

1 - 1 1/2 lbs stewing beef
seasoned flour
vegetable oil
2 sliced onions & 8 sliced carrots
600ml beef or other stock
mixed herbs or bouqet garni

Toss the meat in seasoned flour and fry in caserole dish using the oil until brown.
Remove meat and quick fry the onions and carrots and mixed herbs (if using) in the remaining oil. Return the meat to pan and stir in the stock Bring to the boil and add the bouqet garni (if using). Cover casserole and put in oven (300 - 350F) and leave to cook for about 2 and half hours.

You can also add dumplings to cook in the liqor - add them for the last 20 minutes.

I sometimes just brown the beef add beef broth, tomatoes (canned), onion and hoisin sauce. I cook it as long as I would a beef stew. I have served it with horseradish mashed potatoes. Any side veg.

Greek Beef Stew ! Brown meat in olive oil and add tomato paste,red wine vinegar,red wine,beef stock,brown sugar,cumin,allspice,garlic,bay leaf,salt&pepper and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add small onions and cook for 30min and stir in mushrooms. Serve with orzo,rice or whatever you feel like. One of my favourites !

I have some stew beef that I need to use. I think my family is getting tired of the old beef stew. Got any ideas of something new and kid friendly that I could make out of stew beef?

Thanks for the help!

- Marygio

Do you serve dumplings with it. Get the stew hot, open a tube of biscuits, place them on the hot stew, cover and let them steam. Wonderful stuff!!!

How about Pot Pie.. Make your best pie crust, line a pan with it. Fill with the stew, put a top crust on and bake until the crust is golden brown..

EDIT--sorry, thought you said Beef Stew left over not stew beer... big difference...

Last edited:
Greek Beef Stew ! Brown meat in olive oil and add tomato paste,red wine vinegar,red wine,beef stock,brown sugar,cumin,allspice,garlic,bay leaf,salt&pepper and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Add small onions and cook for 30min and stir in mushrooms. Serve with orzo,rice or whatever you feel like. One of my favourites !

Do you have a recipe with the amounts of each ingredient listed on this one? Sounds good and we want to try it.

Greek Beef Stew

Sorry didn't see the request for ingredients until now - here goes :

1.5gk beef cut into 3cm cubes
60ml olive oil
115g can tomato paste
60ml red wine vinegar
500ml dry red wine
500ml beef stock
20ml brown sugar
15ml ground cumin
5ml ground allspice
2 cloves garlic - crushed