ISO Stovetop Pot Roast Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newbee

Assistant Cook
Hmm. I always thought a pot roast was cooked in a pot and over the stove. Seems like a lot of wasted electricity to cook a roast in the oven. That said, I'm still trying to find a stove top pot roast that doesnt' turn out dry and leathery. I spent quite a few dollars on sirloin roast and cooked it over the the stove as suggested by someone in another forum. The first time, I turned out fine (but with too much water) but I used chuck the other time I didn't use sirloin.

Hey newbee, welcome to DC! I have done roast on the stove top and pretty much followed the same recipe that I would in the oven. You want to cook at a much lower temp on the stove top and make sure you have a tight fitting lid for your pot. Brown your meat first and remove. Add onions/garlic and saute for a few minutes then add roast back in and beef stock/water. Cook for about an hour and a half and add desired veggies keeping in mind that carrots and potatos take longer to cook than most other veggies.

This is a quick run through, but you can pretty much adapt any roast done in the oven to the stove top.

I agree with Sattie.

The reason people cook pot roast in the oven is because it offers much better, even heat, but sure it can be cooked on a cooktop. Not sure if that uses that much less more electricity/gas, though.

Choose a cheaper roast for a braised pot roast, otherwise it will turn out dry and unappetizing. "Pot roasts" are cheaper cuts with a bit more fat and connective tiisue that benefit from a long slow cooking method. More expensive, leaner cuts are more appropriate for dry heat.

If your pot roast turns out DRY, you are cooking it for too long

Last edited:
Thanks. I was told to cook the sirloin roast under low heat for 3 hours with veggies. I did the same with a pot roast but I added two, maybe three cups of water. The chuck pot roast was very nice but there was way too much liquid afterwards...it was more like a soup. I am not sure if it made a difference though, but I first brought the liquid and roast to a high boil after braising and then lowered it to simmer for three hours.

Has anyone has anyone good results using a pressure cooker?

Do you have a slow cooker? I made a great pot roast in mine yesterday. Browned the roast first, then put potatoes, sliced onions and carrots in the bottom of the cooker, added the seasonings,some red wine, a can of diced tomatoes and a little beef stock. Just enough liquid to come about halfway up the roast. Cooked on low for 8 hours. It was really good.

Oh yes, I seasoned the roast well with salt and pepper before browning it.

I like to use the oven just because as said above the heat is more even and regulated. I find when I do it on the stove I have to fiddle with the temp a bit.
Also I like the oven because I have nosy little kids, and with the stove being on for 3 hours, I think there's alot of potential for one of them to reach too close. Paranoid, maybe. But I ain't burned a kid yet!

Do you have a slow cooker? I made a great pot roast in mine yesterday. Browned the roast first, then put potatoes, sliced onions and carrots in the bottom of the cooker, added the seasonings,some red wine, a can of diced tomatoes and a little beef stock. Just enough liquid to come about halfway up the roast. Cooked on low for 8 hours. It was really good.

Oh yes, I seasoned the roast well with salt and pepper before browning it.
Sounds yummy.

Has anyone tried the slow cooker method with a sirloin tip roast? My supermarket has this cut on sale this week.

To go with what ChefJune was saying, the sirloin tip roast is a cut that is better suited to dry roasting. Chuck roast is the right cut for pot roasting. My recipe includes a recipe for kettle gravy to make with the liquid after the roast and veggies are finished cooking.

If needed, add water to cooking liquid to measure 2 cups. Shake together 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 cup cold water, and pour this slurry slowly into simmering liquid. Bring to a boil, boil one minute, adjust seasonings, and serve over beef and vegetables. HTH.

When I think pot roast the first thing that pops into my mind is sauerbraten. To me it is the epitome of pot roasts, although all of the others are great. Let me see, middle of winter, pot roast - sauerbratem. Yumm.

The time of braising will determine the tenderness of the meat. Meat will warm up until it gets to the temp where the firbrous, collagenous stuff breaks down. Then the temp stays constant until the tough stuff is broken down. After that you have a tender meat.

Sauerbraten, no, have not made it in a while. Thanks for bringing it up.

roast

i have cooked them mostly in a crockpot for fattier cuts. oven for the better quality roast. put in roaster with potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. oven on 375 and cook according to weight.

babe

Thanks. I was told to cook the sirloin roast under low heat for 3 hours with veggies. I did the same with a pot roast but I added two, maybe three cups of water. The chuck pot roast was very nice but there was way too much liquid afterwards...it was more like a soup. I am not sure if it made a difference though, but I first brought the liquid and roast to a high boil after braising and then lowered it to simmer for three hours.

Has anyone has anyone good results using a pressure cooker?

I think you added too much water. With a braise like this, it's tightly covered, so the water doesn't evaporate. I use Betty Crocker's recipe: New England Pot Roast from Betty Crocker It only calls for one cup of water. There are slow-cooker directions, too. HTH.

since cuts of meat and cooking vessel shapes and (tight) fitting lids are all different, i go by the rule that in a braise such as a pot roast, the liquid added should only come up to about 1/3rd of the side of the meat, no more. the meat itself will lose juices, as well as the accompanying veggies, so i usually even start out lower than that; around 1/4. often, when finished cooking, the liquid level will almost be up to 1/2, so judge it on the low side.

Back
Top Bottom