AFP: Scientists create 'no tears' onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Scientists create 'no tears' onions - Yahoo! News

Scientists in New Zealand and Japan have created a "tear-free" onion using biotechnology to switch off the gene behind the enzyme that makes us cry, one of the leading researchers said Friday.

The discovery could signal an end to one of cooking's eternal puzzles: why does cutting up a simple onion sting the eyes and trigger teardrops?

The research institute in New Zealand, Crop and Food, used gene-silencing technology to make the breakthrough which it hopes could lead to a prototype onion hitting the market in a decade's time.

Now all the fun has been removed from cutting an onion:(:(:(

D@MN these Scientist!:ermm:

Oooops... YT RUNS!!!!!!!!
quick Hide me somewhere, I`m going to get shot for that!:eek:

Traitor!:LOL:

LOL. What are they gonna think of next? No wait, never mind, i don't think i want to know.:glare:

Maybe veggies that chop themselves??:wacko:

they forgot to mention that while the onions won't make you cry, now they scream and bleed when you slice them. :huh:

We'd better watch ourselves. Those onions just might join forces with the killer tomatoes. Then what will we do. I mean, WHAT WILL WE DO!

I see another "B" movie comming out: "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes & Onions"

Put these crazed killer veggies together with a "mad cow" and out spaghetti sauce will be munching on us instead of the other way around. I'm tellin' ya; Be afraid. Be very afraid. Muahahahaha.:ROFLMAO: For safety of my family, and my tasted buds, I will continue to purchase ordinary (extraodinary) onions. They will not mount an attack, and, the enzyme that causes tears probably also affects the sensations that make the humble onion such an great veggie. And to modify such a great line from a movie - "We don't need no stinking g.a. veggies!"

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

it's heresy, i tells ya.

besides, what excuse am i gonna use the next time that i'm watching a sad movie? it's always the onions!

lol, i told my son this, so now when he gets sad watching a tv show, he tells me that he was helping mommy cut an onion. in fact, now we have a rating system based on it. if the movie is too scary or sad, it's too onion-ey to watch with him.

it's heresy, i tells ya.

besides, what excuse am i gonna use the next time that i'm watching a sad movie? it's always the onions!

lol, i told my son this, so now when he gets sad watching a tv show, he tells me that he was helping mommy cut an onion. in fact, now we have a rating system based on it. if the movie is too scary or sad, it's too onion-ey to watch with him.

Ya gotta love a guy who teaches is son such wisdom.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom